We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Subscription

Wrinkly70

Likes # 0

Forum Editor
The subscription runs out after 9 days.
I cannot find any problems with 360, so what happens if I want to continue using it after 9 days.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

I normally use Avast home (free version) and for the last month, or so, was using Rising antivirus (free version).

In comparison, Norton 360 is superior for scanning the hard drive, producing no false positives, although it did delete three programs without asking. A password revealer and two joke programs, so acceptable to class them as a mild risk, but it should ask (restored with no problems).

The amount of features Norton has is quite wide ranging. But personally I would rather have a simpler program and just use the built in Windows clean up tools.
The backup tool is poorly implemented and slows my computer for quite a while when being used.

The interface is very bad. It needs to lose the fancy effects and be simplified and everything should open in the same window.
Back in 2003 I used Norton antivirus and Cleansweep and both had very good interfaces.

Manual (I hate auto update, control freak, lol) updates are good, very quick and problem free.

Norton ran alongside Comodo Boclean with no problems.

The help file is pretty good.

The firewall seems to be good at blocking incoming traffic, but appears to let all outgoing traffic past.
I prefer Zonealarm, which queries anything unusual and I miss the internet activity icon in the system tray.

I ran a program called Scoundrel Simulator, which simulates the actions of a possible threat, writing to the start up section of the registry, changing your homepage, etc. Norton let it perform all five actions without a peep, which was a bit worrying.

Overall, given the choice I would prefer just the virus scan part of the software and use Zonealarm and Regprot for overall protection.

Like this post
Managing ed

Likes # 0

It's really useful. I know Symantec are pleased with the honest feedback (not that that's anything we should be too concerned with), and the more of this kind of testing we can do the better.

Incidentally, I've got the definite answer on the Beta licence issue from my Symantec contact:

"Please could you let your Forum testers know that they will need to reactivate they beta license every 15 days. We're uploading new beta builds to the beta testing website every so often, so really want beta testers to download each new build and test it."

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

How can you tell which is a new build, 70MB a fair download if it's not needed; plus you have to un-install the current version before the new one will install? I've just downloaded it again and it had the same file name. Do you know if they will identify them by release names.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thats a good point no version number, but at least it a fast install or was on my system.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info, it's been interesting doing this, with the amount of different systems people use it's no wonder theres been problems.

From my experience with this version of Norton 360 I'm only to glad to keep using it, the only time I got concerned was when it died on me and I didn't have any fire wall running.

For how much longer do you want us to keep posting any problems.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I would be grateful if you could post a summing up of your overall experience to date in the appropriate thread click here

We'll leave that thread, and the one entitled 'specific 360 problems' running for a while, in case there are further issues to report.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia