We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Subscription

Wrinkly70

Likes # 0

Forum Editor
The subscription runs out after 9 days.
I cannot find any problems with 360, so what happens if I want to continue using it after 9 days.

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

I must admit I do notice no lag or any sort of performance issues with the software, but I have a reasonaly high spec system and wonder what those with a slower system notice.
It seems to work in the background with no problems at all but I do actually wonder if it is actually working properly.
The reason I say this is I am still unsure if Norton is scanning my emails, it says it is set to scan my emails but since theres no record on the bottom of the email such as you get with AVG free I am left wondering if it is actually doing it. I use Outlook 2002 if that makes any difference. I did used to use Outlook Express but since I use Outlook at my new job all the time I feel it is simpler for me to use Outlook at home as well. Maybe it is checking emails, maybe it isn't but it does concern me as I see no real way that I can test it other than except that the Norton program says it is setup to check emails.
I also hated the program adding the toolbar without permission. I have left it and it seems fine but I do not like any software, regardless of what is is doing things like this.
I've tried a few of the extras such as tune up and noticed no difference whatsoever but I keep my system quite well tuned up anyway so this is not unexpected.
The only thing I have not tried yet is the backup.
I do wish I had an older lower spec PC lying about that I could try it on because as far as I am concerned that would be a fairer testbed for me to use.
At the moment I would would describe myself as pleasantly surprised by the software as its inobtrusive and just works away, or appears to.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

The performance overhead is negligible on my system. Most of the time I don't really notice it's there. However the same could be said for AVG Free I was using prior to this. Also I was only using the Windows firewall.

I'm not keen on the interface although it would be a matter of time before I'm used to it.

The one problem that wouldn't have affected me until recently though is the small fonts. At the moment I'm using a 22" screen with the Windows fonts set to extra large and have set large fonts in my browser and email. Unfortunately this isn't reflected in the Norton interface but my trusty magnifying glass is helping me out.

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

WEll Norton & Symantec are VERY well established institutions & have been for some time, There is a lot of competition out there, i belive Symantec have impressed a good few of us here & although we knew there could be some Blips i think the overall test went very well,

Since i belive Tomorrow is the last day of the test id just like to thank FE & Pca For letting me take part in all this, Its given me a much better oppinion on this product, TY Guys
PM.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

matt

i was using norton 360v2 prior to the beta.

1]problems fixed with the beta are a fast install v2 took ages to install.

2] liveupdate on the beta works perfect, v2 was buggy.

3] i prefer the toolbar layout in ie7.

4] v3 has my vote.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

those of you who have participated in the beta test forum (and by that I mean those who have actually provided feedback here, in the test forum) will each receive a one year licence for the finished product when it becomes available.

Like this post
Wrinkly70

Likes # 0

Have extended to Feb 4th.

Previous Security has been Norton Internet Security up to 2009. Would change quite happily to 360 at a competitive price. I like the "bells and whistles" and can not generate any problems.

Like this post
MCE2K5

Likes # 0

To extend your subscription from 14 days to 30 days,

On the Main Screen, click My Account

Click Renew Subscription

Check RENEW NOW and click NEXT

click button to renew

Post #2 click here

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

I've got Kaspersky 2009 and McAfee 2008, both internet suite versions on other computers.

Norton is faster at scanning than either, uses less cpu than either, and from that point of view, it must be the better.

However, interface-wise, it lags behind in my opinion. Firstly, just on "looks" (which probably shouldn't matter, but do), Norton looks washed-out and old. Secondly on available information, I much prefer McAfee's main window, list of options on the left (Home, Update, Scan.... Firewall), with each of those giving a main window of options on the right. Much easier to find settings and...

That leads on to the fact that I find Norton quite difficult to navigate straight to the option I might want, some being four or so clicks away... so there are probably some settings I should have changed/learned about that I have yet to find.

Overall, I think the mechanics of the program are probably great, but the interface is lacking in star quality.

Like this post
Managing ed

Likes # 0

I'm thinking particularly in terms of usability and performance overhead: how do you think Norton 360 v3 compares to other brands of internet security software, or even previous Symantec products you've used?

Incidentally, I've got a call in about the nine days thing - you'll know as soon as I do.

Matt Egan
Managing Editor

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

All those of us on the beta test will get the full version, with a years updates, free for participating.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...