We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Specific 360 problems

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that we've all had a chance to let Norton 360 settle into its stride it would be good to hear about any specific problems that have occurred.

In my case I had a clear run until I switched on my test machine this afternoon. Norton 360 threw a wobbly, and decided it wanted to fire up 'One-click support' and send an error report back to base. It asked me for permission to do this, and I agreed. Then followed a process of collecting and transmitting data about my machine, after which 360 told me it was 'attempting a fix'.

I carried on working whilst all this went on, and after about ten minutes I was told that the fix had failed, and I was advised to 'try again later'. I have continued working, and all seems fine - at no time was the computer slowed by all the goings on, and Norton tells me 'You are protected'.

What about you - have you had a similar experience, or has Norton 360 done something else unexpectedly? Please don't post here if all is humming along nicely - we want to hear about problems in this thread.

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

Just PhotoShop'ing some photos, placing my "CopyRight" watermark on some of them b4 i upload them to a website & PhotoShop is hanging &/Or Not responding..? it didnt do this before i installed Norton..?

May have to reboot..?

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

I have the same problem that you are having. My email is handled through Outlook 2007 via MS SBS 2003. I get the machine frozen and will not send or receive any emails at all.

I will look into the setting deeper to see if there is anyting that needs (un)ticking

Also like I said in a previous thread, streaming that needs JAVA issnt working at all, despite the latest Jave being installed

Like this post
BELSEY

Likes # 0

Following a trouble free install:
within the hour I got 'definitions not up to date' warning. Running live update made no difference. As advised by 'one click support' I uninstalled and reinstalled 360- ran live update and no further problems.

On two occasions on the night of install in quick succesion my PC shutdown for no apparent reason.Rebooted OK. Since then this has not reoccurred.

Day after install my Internet connection was lost (not even showing on control panel network connections. Reconnected via Linksys LELA diagnostics. No further problems

360 now seems to be running fine with no adverse affects. As stated by STQ this may make me change my mind about Norton products.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

I use Outlook 2003 as my mail client receiving emails from my Hotmail account and a business account. Since installing Norton 360 I have noticed that it takes an age to open and email. As for the attachments - regardless of which program they have been produced in - they can take up to 5 minutes to open.

Up to now that is the only problem I am having with Norton.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

I have been playing around with the backup tool, is it just me, or is it somewhat less than intuitive, even after reading all the help files.

I wanted to backup a specific folder, but despite setting a new profile, Norton still wanted to backup loads of other files, that it insisted on including. I had to deselect everything I didn't want and then add the folder I did want.
I did successfully backup the folder to the online storage and restore it. But it seemed rather awkward, unless I wanted to stick with the default settings.

I successfully ran the Norton Insight tool and the computer is running better now.
I only get the slow down now, if I open the interface for ten minutes, or so. This seems to be linked with the file ccSveHst.exe (two copies), which uses all the CPU resources, according to the Task Manager.
On close down, Windows has to forcibly close ccSveHst.exe, about 50% of the time.

On the plus side, as long as I don't use the extra features Norton now trundles along with no problems.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

Have been attempting to run insight but it has stopped at 91% and won't go any further. Will try it again later after a full shut down.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Having re-read the blurb on this forum it states that we are testing for Beta software strengths and weaknesses. So on that thyme firstly

Weaknesses:
Norton did not like my original system setup and caused my email client (outlook express) and my browser (Firefox3) to hang.

When I first ran a "Comprehensive scan" it told me I "MUST" first do a backup of my system I later learned if I just clicked "cancel" it went into the scan anyway so not sure why it told me I "must" do a backup.

It installed a Norton toolbar without asking permission.

I find the scan time a bit slow compared to my usual scan software AVG 8 free edition.

Apart from the first weakness mentioned the others are not serious.

Strenths:
Once I done a clean install of Win XP and reinstalled the Norton Beta it has ran very unobtrusively in the background, in fact so unobtrusively that sometimes I wonder if it is actually working lol.

Unlike other Norton products I have had experience of Norton 360 appears not to hog system resources.

The control panel for changing settings is pretty straightforward.

I haven't tried the backup facility yet so "no comment" on it yet.

All in all I think it works OK and runs nice and quietly in the background, I do not really see anything that sets it apart from other similar products apart from the backup utility.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I seem to be having the same problem as FE with Norton not wanting to send or receive e-mails using Outlook Express.

When this happened today it just froze Outlook completely, but when I went into Task Manager it showed up as Norton not responding.

Another reboot and all was well.

One other little gripe is that it has Disk Optimization but if you run it, it just will not defrag any of my hard drives.

It shows Drive C at 14% fragmentation and Drive F at 10% but says they don't need doing.

I might be wrong but whats the point in having this feature if it will not do what you want.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

I had a look at mine and it says my HDD is 10% fragmented but does not need de-fragmented. I was looking to see if there was a setting to change when it report de-fragmentation is necessary. I'm not sure if there is a trigger point that will prompt a defrag I suspect there will be.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Just out of curiosity I ran my other Defrag app IOBit Smart Defrag and it reported a 3.93 fragmentation and advised a defrag and system optimization. Not sure what to make of that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'