We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Specific 360 problems

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that we've all had a chance to let Norton 360 settle into its stride it would be good to hear about any specific problems that have occurred.

In my case I had a clear run until I switched on my test machine this afternoon. Norton 360 threw a wobbly, and decided it wanted to fire up 'One-click support' and send an error report back to base. It asked me for permission to do this, and I agreed. Then followed a process of collecting and transmitting data about my machine, after which 360 told me it was 'attempting a fix'.

I carried on working whilst all this went on, and after about ten minutes I was told that the fix had failed, and I was advised to 'try again later'. I have continued working, and all seems fine - at no time was the computer slowed by all the goings on, and Norton tells me 'You are protected'.

What about you - have you had a similar experience, or has Norton 360 done something else unexpectedly? Please don't post here if all is humming along nicely - we want to hear about problems in this thread.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

I forgot to mention that I ran the Outlook tool scanpst.exe which found and fixed errors. But switching AntiSpam back on still had the same problem.

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

OMG loved this touch!!

Got a paypal "update your password" email you know the fake ones, i deliberatly clicked on the browser/link & it opened into a URL that ive never seen b4, i knew it was fake so i was about to type loadsa insults to the recipient BUT Norton STEPPED IN & stated this:

Fraudulent Web Page Blocked

You attempted to access:

click here

This web page is a known fraudulent web page. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this page.

For your protection, this web page has been blocked. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security

OH my god im VERY happy they have done there Homework have the boys!!

LOVIN IT!!!

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

PS did u ALL get a Yellow Norton page if you clicked on that link..??

If so then its doing its job WELL!!!

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

No, the Firefox antiphishing tool blocked it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

that I have uninstalled the 360 beta software. It was blocking outbound emails via any email client I tried to use, and no amount of fiddling with the settings cured the problem. 360 kept popping up dialogue boxes telling me that it was fixing a problem, but in the end it just sat there, telling me that it was sending information to Symantec, when in fact it was sending nothing - after ten minutes or so it gave up and told me that it couldn't complete the process, and that I should try later.

Even worse, my previous BitDefender installation will now not work properly, and is unable to update its virus signature database - several attempts to repair the installation have ended with BitDefender telling me that I should contact their support service.

All in all I am not a happy bunny at the moment.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

Just looked closely at what happens when I send an email from Outlook 2003. It disappears from the Outbox as soon as I press the Send button but a couple of seconds later the Norton popup appears that states it's scanning messages. Does this indicate that the email is in some sort of 'limbo' state while Norton scans it?

Like this post
Wrinkly70

Likes # 0

Forum Editor
When I installed 360 it first removed NIS 2009. I use Outlook 2003 for emails without problem.
As a wrinkly I do not want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs but have the following suggestion.
Using RevoUninstaller, remove BitDefender and any other "defenders", then re install 360. Then using Revo uninstall 360; Revo appears to do a very good job of cleaning the Registry of leftover items, after it has used the original Software's uninstaller, then clears any leftover folders on the HDD.
Then re install 360 and you may have a trouble free 360 - like mine.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thank you for your suggestions,but of course I went through all that most carefully before posting. My test machine is specifically set up for beta testing.

Like this post
Falkyrn

Likes # 0

While browsing through the program list on my machine I accidentally clicked on the Windows defender program icon . An error message popped up saying the program had failed to initialise.

I then noticed that the beta icon had disappeared from the system tray but double clicking on the desktop icon or the start menu icon failed to get any reaction from the 360 beta The only option left was reboot the machine which appears to have restored the beta.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I tried to ope Defender and an alert told me it was switched off. Norton 360 must do that on installation I think.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers