We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Specific 360 problems

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that we've all had a chance to let Norton 360 settle into its stride it would be good to hear about any specific problems that have occurred.

In my case I had a clear run until I switched on my test machine this afternoon. Norton 360 threw a wobbly, and decided it wanted to fire up 'One-click support' and send an error report back to base. It asked me for permission to do this, and I agreed. Then followed a process of collecting and transmitting data about my machine, after which 360 told me it was 'attempting a fix'.

I carried on working whilst all this went on, and after about ten minutes I was told that the fix had failed, and I was advised to 'try again later'. I have continued working, and all seems fine - at no time was the computer slowed by all the goings on, and Norton tells me 'You are protected'.

What about you - have you had a similar experience, or has Norton 360 done something else unexpectedly? Please don't post here if all is humming along nicely - we want to hear about problems in this thread.

Like this post
mamsboy

Likes # 0

No prob's here, done a full scan, 720GB in just over 2 hours which included the backup.
Very impressed with this norton product

Like this post
clvmsn

Likes # 0

I am impressed at the moment with Norton 360 V3,
I have had no problems, no freezes, no crashes, no slow connecting, and it appears to quietly and unobtrusively get on with it's job.

Like this post
justme

Likes # 0

So can I , most times.

I have tried to duplicate the problem by switching the computer off and restarting it many times (I would guess about 70 or 80 times in the last couple of days) and only had a major problem twice and a minor hiccup once.

Like this post
MCE2K5

Likes # 0

Spent all day and night testing everything, The whole 360 (pardon the pun), Found No problems whatsoever, Runs like a dream.

Done a full backup (119 gig) 3/4's of an Hour, Part backup 2.2 gig 5 minutes, Quick 10 minute & Full Virus Scans 1 hour, Disc optimization, Cleanup Registry, Startup Manager.

However, Diagnostic Report Says that "Your operating system may be missing key security or performance patches" Run Windows Update,

My Windows Vista Ultimate is Fully upto Date, The only things missing are the extra Language Files I do not need.

Like this post
sxm-bill

Likes # 0

Hi all. I just tested n360's backup capabilities and within 10 minutes got a norton error message.
Specifically: After battling with it's insisting that I backup my whole hard disk on-line, -and after managing to relegate the backup to an external hard-disk, it finally gave me an arror window: "Symantec service framework has stopped working".
This was exactly 10 minutes into the backup process.
i rebooted & everything appears to be okay, including a copy of my c-drive....
But I use Norton's Ghost on a regular basis (v 12),
and can't really believe that the whole process could only have taken 10 min.. -wonderfull if that is the case! And then there is the error message: if the whole system shuts down on me then I would presume that includes my anti-viral protection. Hope this info is of use. I may try try to reinstall everything from the backup tomorrow, -and you may hear about that adventure!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Hi FE
Finally arrived in Bangkok. Having problems downloading which I have detailed in your initial link (page 4). I will keep trying to sort this out.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Like MCE2K5 I ran the diagnostic report which stated "You OS may be missing key security or performance patches" and ran Windows Update from the link in Norton 360. None available.

Nortons diagnostic report had two entries called "Last Windows Hotfix Date" - the first was 6 Jan 09 with various paths listed and included Roxio. The second was dated 12 November 2008. I checked with WU History to find that the only update on 6 Jan was Windows Defender so what the other paths referred to I don`t understand. WU History also showed that since the November date I`ve had a total of 31 updates.

Norton doesn`t seem to be reporting this correctly, does anyone else shave this minor problem?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Ran a quick scan which didn`t take too long and it reported on the first screen risks found 1. Clicked on the Details link underneath and it said "Total Security Risks Detected 2" (All Cookies) Returned to the initial screen and clicked on Fix - Action Required then clicked on "Tracking Cookie" in the Title Column which gave me a list of 40 tracking cookies. Something doesn`t add up here to my mind or is it just me?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Minor niggles I know but as per my previous thread there are two other instances where the reporting seems confusing to me.

Start Up Manager - I noticed that I couldn`t maximise the window which was irritating having to scroll horizontally. At the bottom Norton States "Total Items in Start Up Set 22" and "Total Applications to be launched 22". I then set one program to a delayed start and the last figure became "-21" (Minus 21). Running this again today the minus sign has gone so it is now reporting correctly.

Registry Cleanup - Didn`t give me an option to review this procedure - it just did it. A little disconcerting to say the least! On the results screen it stated Fixed 29 so I then went to Details which shows Advanced Details 1 item. Thus confused I went to Security History and that showed the full 29 items.

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

Morning all,Normaly when i boot my machine up the "Live Update" swings into action automaticly within a minute of been online, THIS didnt happen this morning ive been online 20 mins or so & im debating to update manualy..? if its not done in another ten il update myself...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...