We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Specific 360 problems

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that we've all had a chance to let Norton 360 settle into its stride it would be good to hear about any specific problems that have occurred.

In my case I had a clear run until I switched on my test machine this afternoon. Norton 360 threw a wobbly, and decided it wanted to fire up 'One-click support' and send an error report back to base. It asked me for permission to do this, and I agreed. Then followed a process of collecting and transmitting data about my machine, after which 360 told me it was 'attempting a fix'.

I carried on working whilst all this went on, and after about ten minutes I was told that the fix had failed, and I was advised to 'try again later'. I have continued working, and all seems fine - at no time was the computer slowed by all the goings on, and Norton tells me 'You are protected'.

What about you - have you had a similar experience, or has Norton 360 done something else unexpectedly? Please don't post here if all is humming along nicely - we want to hear about problems in this thread.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

Further comment that is not a problem but is puzzling. I ran a full virus scan which was impressively fast in scanning around 700,000 files, 286GB in around 40 minutes. I then realised that I hadn't backed up my data to one of my new hard drives so I did this and scanned again. This time it took around 30 minutes but reported scanning only around 325,000 files.

I am assuming that as the scans followed each other in less than 2 hours that it was only scanning the files added to the new disk. However nothing to indicate that this might be the case was in the report.

I am reasonably experienced with Windows and find many of the settings confusing or without sufficent explanation e.g. Firewall Protection, Traffic Rules; who, other than a techie, will know what any of that means or whether it's configured correctly and be able to detect an incorrect setting.

Like this post
Zaphod 3

Likes # 0

By the system tray when an e-mail is being sent or received a small envelope will appear, to indicate scanning. If you have a very fast connection it does not appear for long when receiving.

You can also cofigure a progress indicator from;

settings, anti-virus protection,scans and risks,e-mail scan configure.

Hope this helps

Like this post
justme

Likes # 0

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had other things which needed my attention.

If I click on the internet before Norton has loaded the computer seems to start the internet as normal but then the computer locks up completely (no keyboard or mouse) which requires switching the computer off at the mains. This has happen now on two occassions

On one occassion the internet seemed to be connecting as normal and then it briefly threw up an error message (before I could read what it said it disappeared again). The internet then restarted as though I had just clicked on it.

I have tried to recreate the problem by deliberately clicking on the internet before Norton loads but can't make it happen.

I should say that most times there is no problem whatsoever. It is very much an intermittent fault which of course is the most difficult type to diagnose. Prior to loading Norton I never had a problem like this.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

When you say "the Internet" do you mean your browser? because if you do I am having the same problem. If I try and open my browser (Firefox) too soon my computer totally freezes and I have to turn of the power to restart. Before I installed Norton and tried to open my browser just after Windows loaded, it took a bit of time to open, but with Norton installed it freezes.

Like this post
wolfie3000

Likes # 0

Only problem so far was Norton insight crashed first time i used it.
Now work great.
click here

Apart from that iv had no problems what so ever.

All programs work as normal, connecting to various game servers work as normal and no network problems at all.

I will tonight see how it copes with a few viruses that i will attempt to download and run.

Like this post
justme

Likes # 0

The browser (IE) opens and starts to load the home page and then hangs up.

Like you I used to click on the internet and it always started without problems after a short wait while everything else was loaded.

I suspect that it is a memory allocation problem between the browser and Norton but as I have mentioned above I cannot reproduce the problem at will.

Like this post
Falkyrn

Likes # 0

Firefox has become unstable - after half an hour of use the program terminates. Attempting to restart Firefox with "Restore previous Session" causes it to fail and an error message stating Runtime error appears.

Like this post
Wrinkly70

Likes # 0

I put this in the earlier thread, but think it belongs here.

Have now turned everything on to see if I could get some of the problems listed; still no problems.
The only function I do not like is the Backup. I prefer to select what I want rather than use the default. To set up a new backup requires selection of files and folders, but each one has to be selected separately, and selection of the Users Picture folder additionally brings in a lot of unwanted pictures.
I have a standard HP Laptop 3Gb Ram 160Gb HDD 256mb Graphics, with wireless connection, and use only Microsoft software.

Like this post
stqconsultants

Likes # 0

I'll be brief, So Far I have not encountered any of the problems reported, and I have not found anything new.
Personally, I find the interface annoyingly simplistic and the dialog boxes too big, a bit 1984ish in a parental way, I suppose that most would be happy with this approach, but I'll learn to live with it.
Speed seems fine, footprint seems ok, Oh everything seems boringly ok. I just wonder about the effectiveness of all this?
I might get to like Norton 360 V3 after years of hating theirb products.

Like this post
Wrinkly70

Likes # 0

justme and Legolas
I can start IE7 before Norton and Sidebar etc are loaded, without freezing or any other problems.
I note that "Early load" is enabled.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...