We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 post-installation reactions?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Please use this thread to let us know about anything which seems to be a worry - or a delight - immediately following your installation of the software.

Please DO NOT use this thread to report on your download or installation experience - use the initial 'welcome' thread for that information.

So, how's it running - are you generally pleased with what you see, or do you have 'issues' of any description? Don't worry too much about any specific anti-virus points at this juncture - we'll come to that aspect of things later. What we want to know now is how 360 is getting along with your hardware/software mix.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

norton insight still fails to complete, otherwise running well.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

tried a few emails no problems with norton sending or recieving.

norton faulting reports also fail to fully complete and send crashing norton in the process needing a restart of the pc to get norton up and running again.

Like this post
sxm-bill

Likes # 0

Hi, i've used the registry cleanup twice now & to initial satisfaction. What, however, I'm trying to locate is a registry backup: I've not been given that option prior to "cleaning it up", nor have I the foggiest idea of the depth of scan being performed. These two points may seem a little arcane, but my experiences over time tells me that the Windows registry is a tricky piece of fickle turf, -it messes itself up a lot! On my other system I use jv-16 and Uniblue's 'registry booster'
approximately 2x a week (I have a complex system...) -but I know, or can calibrate, the extent of the scan. With N360 I appear to have to take much for granted. For instance; it found one error a few minutes ago (already phenomenally little) and reported it as something.10.psd. Well on 4 different portitions, in subdirectories, I likely have10-15 of those psd's. What I mean to say is I frequently need to trace those kinds of errors in order not to lose data (I'm a didigital artist...) I also need to be able to restore the reg if things go wrong. I know N360 has backup capabilities but it doesn't seem to be optionally connected from a user's point of view. I'm a little disappointed but I may be missing something?

Like this post
mamsboy

Likes # 0

Well now a few days in, and happy to report no problems at all

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

reg scan runs ok here, would be nice to see a reg backup option first and a reg defrag option too.

I would like to see the norton uac tool included as it is an excellent idea.

the list of pc spec that 360 shows for the pc re diagnostics has a few minor errors but overall very good and useful.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Everybody on the whole seem to be happy but I'm affraid that after the easy no problem installation and live update performed reboot and then could only get desktop nothing else worked, tried connecting to the net and just froze on blank IE screen saying connecting tried end program that would not work had to shut down via off button.

Then switched on again got to desktop curser worked by could not open any programs or control panel.

The next time I tried safe mode and was able to access tne net and download Norton removal tool and run it after which re-booted and everything worked OK.

I wish everybody who is not having problems well and a succesful test.

I can only think it was a conflict with something on my hardware or software setup (yes I did uninstall the AVG that was on there before I started)

HP Pavillion Z5476EA 4.5 yrs old AMD XP3400+ 1gig ram Nvidea GO GForce 64Meg graphics.

Iwll keep looking in on this forum so if any more info required feel free to ask.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

One other thing I did try switching off firewall but I could not even access Norton.

Like this post
grangehearts

Likes # 0

Haven't had any windows updates yet so it's working fine at the moment (I think)

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Norton .v. McAfee.
McAfee again asked to restart the computer after an update today. Did so a couple of days ago as well. So far, Norton hasn't asked once (although we haven't had it THAT long yet).

As the virus scanners almost always update first thing in the morning, and pop up a box asking to restart every 10 minutes thereafter until you give in, that is appreciated.

Of course, it may just be that Norton hasn't had to update more than the virus signatures so far.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I have McAfee on my new laptop and as yet has never asked me to re-start it only tells me that it has automatically installed latest update which I can stop at any time by clicking in the box to not show notification again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks