We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 post-installation reactions?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Please use this thread to let us know about anything which seems to be a worry - or a delight - immediately following your installation of the software.

Please DO NOT use this thread to report on your download or installation experience - use the initial 'welcome' thread for that information.

So, how's it running - are you generally pleased with what you see, or do you have 'issues' of any description? Don't worry too much about any specific anti-virus points at this juncture - we'll come to that aspect of things later. What we want to know now is how 360 is getting along with your hardware/software mix.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

360 obviously doesn't know how to add a toolbar to Google Chrome - my current default browser.

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

OH err FE ive just had this popup on my desktop & im not sure if its related to norton but ive never had it before, it reads with a red "X" Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe, then it says Abnormal Program Termination..????

Havent got a clue..?

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

Seems to run quite well, most of the time. I had a couple of problems.

Windows firewall turned itself on for some reason?

I was trying out the tune up section, cleared the temp and internet files with no problems and the startup manager could be useful.
But when I ran the Disc Optimization tool (defragmenter), it appeared to get stuck. After an hour or so, working on a 45GB drive, with only 15GB of data, the computer became unresponsive and I was unable to close down the program, but the drive was spinning furiously.
Norton appears to use the Windows defrag tool and eventually the task manager was able to shut it down and restart the computer.

Apart from that, it's going quite well and I shall "fiddle" some more tonight.

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

My browser has just shut & a few hours ago i had a Update with the SP3 so not sure if thats related to it..?

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

After just a few minutes looking over the setting etcetera I have nothing to report other than it - at the moment - is running like Kaspersky and that is I don't know it is there.

Legolas, to turn off Back up go to The Quick Controls in the Settings window let you turn on or turn off the backup. I do agree with you on this I do prefer to do my own back up and this is undertaken on a regular basis to an external HD.

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

Just done the disk cleanup & my pc frooze my browsers frooze too & i got this message:

Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Internet Expolorer\iexplorer.exe
This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way, Please contact the applications support team for more infomation..??

Like this post
Totally-braindead

Likes # 0

It does seem to be running along quite happily, mind you it should as I have a dual core processor and 4 gig of RAM now.
Do find some sites appear to take longer to appear, might be a problem with certain sites though as some do not seem any slower. Speed test suggests my download speed is the same as usual.
Still dislike the Toolbar that I never got warned about, haven't tried any of the extras yet, I'll run a scan later on this evening and see what that does.

Like this post
justme

Likes # 0

After installation yesterday my computer hung up a couple of times when restarting.

So far today there has been no problems and I have not changed anything so perhaps it was not Norton 360 which was causing trouble.

Like many others I don't like it adding a toolbar without my permission (I would not have allowed it if I had been given a choice).

Seems fast enough and their "quick check" only takes just under a minute to do. A full check of my C: drive took about 65 minutes. This is comparable with what AVG used to take.

I have not noticed any hold ups while surfing the internet or running other programs, but there again I am not a heavy user of the internet and do not process videos etc.

Like this post
justme

Likes # 0

Re the toolbar being installed, a right click on it allows you to deselect it and it disappears.

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

justme" well spotted..!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...