We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 post-installation reactions?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Please use this thread to let us know about anything which seems to be a worry - or a delight - immediately following your installation of the software.

Please DO NOT use this thread to report on your download or installation experience - use the initial 'welcome' thread for that information.

So, how's it running - are you generally pleased with what you see, or do you have 'issues' of any description? Don't worry too much about any specific anti-virus points at this juncture - we'll come to that aspect of things later. What we want to know now is how 360 is getting along with your hardware/software mix.

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

In the main I like it. It has no detectable impact on my system. I didn't like the fact it installs toolbars in Firefox and IE7 without permission. I don't think that is acceptable.

I ran benchmarks both before and after isntallation and the performance difference is so slight as to be within testing tolerances. It has made no difference to boot times although previous to this I was only running AV and not a firewall other than the router and Windows one.

I couldn't find an option to select just specific folders to scan i.e. I have my OS on one disk plus 3 others including backup and scratch disks and it scanned everything. I would prefer to have the option to select just my OS disk. Maybe it's hidden in the options.

Also something I haven't yet found is how to schedule scans to suit me, again maybe I haven't yet found the option.

Since reinstallation on a new disk I have not had the problem with the update notification not clearing properly.

When I tried to connect my iPod Touch to this PC to update my database the firewall blocked it and I spent ages looking through the firewall settings to set it up the IP address as an exception. I eventually found that you need to set it up specifically in the 'My Network' options. Not a problem in the end but not obvious.

As I said earlier I like it but there's a hell of a lot of settings to work through.

Like this post
wolfie3000

Likes # 0

Looks good, installed easy and with not to much hassle.

One problem is the updates its been 20 minutes now and its still updating,
It must be a big download as there is something downloading.

The user interface is clear and easily understood,
The programs i have run so far didnt need permission from Norton and worked straight away (MSN Messenger 8.5, AOL, Internet explorer 8, Firefox 3.

I expected a toolbar to appear on Internet explorer but also got one on firefox too, the one on Internet explorer is big and clunky but the one on firefox is nice and neat.

Both toolbars dont make use of the toolbar space with the 5 icons packed into the left hand side with a huige space on the right.

All in all no problems to report as yet apart from the update, but now for the real testing. :)

Like this post
Zaphod 3

Likes # 0

I'm pleasantly surprised so far as there has been much less of a drain on resources than before.

Must echo the reaction about the toolbar, as it does seem a bit incongruous that an AV should do such a thing.

One thing though has been removing an issue after a scan when I clicked the fix button I have an hour glass and mouse arrow constantly flickering, with a lock up of resources, only way out is a reboot.

Like this post
mamsboy

Likes # 0

Well, I've go to agree with the majority here, seems very lite on system resorces. Very simple to use, very pleasantly surprised.
Well done Norton.
Running for 2 days and thrown quite a lot at it, no problems

Like this post
I am Spartacus

Likes # 0

To repeat something I said in the 'Welcome' thread I found it surprising and possible a bit cynical that it marks McAfee Site Advisor as a 'Not Trusted' application.

Something else from my notes is that the first time I shutdown after installing Norton 360 on the previous and obviously (now) failing disk there was around 1-2 minutes disk activity which may of course have been another program.

Like this post
Wrinkly70

Likes # 0

Have had no problems after the "Fix Now" problem resolved itself. Retired so have plenty of time to "fiddle", and so far working through all the menus have found everything I could want. There have been no clashes with any software including the free Logmein which I use to help friends and family. Does not seem to be "bloatware" like previous versions of Norton NIS, and much faster.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Easy to configure then runs unobtrusively without slowing my system down. Boot-up is faster than with NIS and Systemworks installed.

Ran a custom system scan, all except defrag and back-up, which took a very reasonable 21 minutes. Fixed a few registry entries and removed two tracking cookies.

Happy so far.

Like this post
restless

Likes # 0

When I applied to beta test I wasnt sure as Norton has never appealed to me mainly due to it wanting to do things its way rather than mine.

Have went through all its features and I like the way its more customizable.The toolbar I dont like but thats easy enough hid.No problems so far infact you would easily forget its there!

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

YEAH its going great in fact ive slated Norton for many a year but if this is close to the finishing product id deffo use it.!!

My pc is running quicker than when i had Avast Pro b4 i put this on..

All the updates are sound there's no issue here..

Like this post
perpetual motion

Likes # 0

One blip the toolbar i wasnt keen on it not asking to install it thats a bit naughty.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home