We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Beta Testing

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Norton 360 post-installation reactions?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Please use this thread to let us know about anything which seems to be a worry - or a delight - immediately following your installation of the software.

Please DO NOT use this thread to report on your download or installation experience - use the initial 'welcome' thread for that information.

So, how's it running - are you generally pleased with what you see, or do you have 'issues' of any description? Don't worry too much about any specific anti-virus points at this juncture - we'll come to that aspect of things later. What we want to know now is how 360 is getting along with your hardware/software mix.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Very pleased so far,one problem so far.
Ran Norton Insight,it seemed to crash and close Norton down.Rebooted laptop and ran Insight again,ok this time

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Boring answer: pretty much forgot it was there. Which, in my view, is just what I want from AV suite.

It hasn't interfered with anything, and I'm running it on my home system crammed full of useless software. I got one surprise - icons on desktop have green ticks when scanned. If that's not using too many resources, I like it. I noticed a couple of new documents transferred to this machine this evening had blue chevrons in the corner... green tick now. Mmmm Happy Icons!

Ran scan, pretty fast. Like the fact it learns what it needs to scan.

It hadn't automatically set up spam filtering with Outlook Express. I didn't mind, but I was surprised it hadn't. I guess the incredibly fast install should suggest that quite a few background bits may need tweaking.

Overall, five star at the moment.

Like this post
Falkyrn

Likes # 0

Minor personal gripe re installation of Toolbars in Firefox and IE without requesting permission.

Problem
Thunderbird recognised as email program and automatically set up for the firewall. Unfortunately any attempt to use TB was met with a "connection refused" message. Checking the firewall the setting was at "Auto" which should have allowed access but was obviously refusing to do so. re setting this to "Allow" cured the problem.

After installation I was met with a screen with 4 large green indicators beneath each of which the word protected could be seen. But checking each individually showed that nothing had actually been done.

Like this post
babybell

Likes # 0

The only thing so far is, when I bought my PC, it came with 250mb of Ram, I bought an additional 500mb thus making it 750mb. When I run the Norton Diagnostic Report I get a warning message next to Hardware Profile which reads:

Problem: Your systems RAM is low:
Recommendation: Consider upgrading your RAM

This of course confused me as my PC has more RAM than when I bought it and I have made no other upgrades to my PC and have no draining software.

I just wonder if it thinks 750mb is low by todays standards rather than judging how much my PC actually needs?

Like this post
babybell

Likes # 0

I am incredibly surprised with how light the program feels. My old Security Centre would take 30 seconds from me clicking open control panel until I could use it. Norton however loads almost instantly and is a huge improvement on older versions of the software.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I have also been pleasantly surprised by Norton 360's apparently minimal impact on system resources. It's probably no secret that I have previously not been a fan of Norton products, but if my initial impression of this 360 software holds good that might be set to change dramatically.

I like what I've seen so far.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I forgot to comment on the RAM report. I think that 360 is using an inbuilt database to determine that anything below 1Gigabyte of RAM is, by today's standards a little on the low side.

I know that you're running Windows XP, and I'm quite sure your machine runs along just fine in 750Mb, so I wouldn't worry about it for a minute. If you're in the mood at some point, and you have some spare cash you might consider upgrading to 1Gigabyte, but otherwise leave well alone.

Like this post
sxm-bill

Likes # 0

Hi
As I mentioned in the more general thread last night,
I had one slight problem with the installation: After N360 reoved my older version of Norton AV and rebooted my pc, it appeared to have run into some install problems. After a few minutes I got an error message advising me to reboot and try the installation again. I did that and N360 appears to have corected itself, -from there on things went very smoothly.....

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thanks for that. What you've described says quite a lot as far as a beta test is concerned. One of the ways to tell really well-designed software is its ability to pick itself up after an installation error and carry on through to a successful install.

Buggy code will often simply come to a stop state and stay there, looping you endlessly through abortive install after abortive install, until you want to run screaming out of the nearest window. Your experience is a reassuring sign.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

I started to run a complete scan but before I was allowed I was forced to do a backup, not sure if there is a way round this, anyway half way through the backup my system froze and eventually I had to switch the power off. After the reboot I got as far as the desktop but I couldn't launch any apps such as my browser or email client. I eventually shut down and rebooted in safe mode and then uninstalled the Norton Beta rebooted and everything was back to normal.

I am about to reinstall Norton beta ad I will see how it goes. If I still have problems I will do a clean install of Windows XP and try Norton on a clean install.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED