We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SWTOR: Computer freezes after clicking play on launcher?

ABCodimus

Likes # 0

Hello, I am new to this forum. Recently I decided to install SWTOR, so I downloaded it, but when the game became ready to play and I clicked the play button on the launcher, the system froze. No error reported, no black screen or blue screen, nothing whatsoever. A complete freeze. I was forced to hard boot. Now, my graphic card was 8400 GS, so I decided to buy Nvidia gt 630 2gb ddr3. But even after installing the new card, the problem persists. I can't even post on SWTOR forums and get help, as my account is f2P. I have 2gb ram, and Service Pack 3. OS is Windows XP 32 bit. It is highly frustrating, downloading a 25 gb game and seeing that it's not working. According to most websites, my system has the requirements needed for playing this game.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Have you tried looking here SWTOR Community. If you look under Customer service there is a stickie thread on launcher issues.

If no joy there come back and I'll see if there are any other solutions.

By the way you have h=got the latest drivers for your new graphics card installed rather than the old ones that came on the disk?

Like this post
ABCodimus

Likes # 0

I have looked there, and tried most of the solutions, but none worked. I now used the Launcher Repair Utility, so the game is again installing. I'll see if it works. In the meantime, I'll update my drivers. All I have to do is go to nvidia website, and search for drivers, right? In that case, I am getting the 320.49 update.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Go here and either put your GPU details in (option 1) or simple go to Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products and click on Graphics Drivers.

But you are quite correct the 320.49 is the latest driver.

Like this post
ABCodimus

Likes # 0

Ok I updated driver. Will wait for Swtor to finish patching, then will try to relaunch. Will tell results tomorrow.

Like this post
ABCodimus

Likes # 0

It doesn't work even now :(.

Like this post
ABCodimus

Likes # 0

I can post dxdiag if required.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry to here that. OK, lets have a look at what the event viewer is logging. Instructions. Run the game and after it fails go into the event viewer. As per the instructions click on what should be at the top of the list and take a screenshot and post back here.

Like this post
ABCodimus

Likes # 0

Problem is, my system has not posted the event. This is because the PC freezes instantaneously, and the only thing I can do is hard boot. So, the error is not listed.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Hmmm.

Try this.

Open your Start menu and type "View Reliability History" into the search box.

Select the most recent SWTOR.exe failure denoted with a red circle with a white X in the middle.

Double-click the related Critical Event under Source.

Copy the full description to the clipboard and paste this in to your reply.

Or this way.

Like this post
ABCodimus

Likes # 0

I have an XP, so reliability history is there in the form of the event log, or so I presume. What's more, the PC freezes immediately. I don't even get a bluescreen so I don't think that there would be an error logged. I even left it running for a while, but nothing. The thing remains like that, with the desktop frozen, I cannot move the mouse, I cannot use the keyboard, I cannot do anything.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...