We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Midrange Gaming PC help?

Khorner17

Likes # 0

Hi there, I'm looking for some assistance in choosing how best to upgrade my gaming experience. I'm currently sitting on a 24 inch 1080p samsung monitor and beside it a 19 inch that I use for web browsing and video playback, I never use it in games.

My specs are:

XFX Radeon 6870 1gb GPU

8150 Bulldoxer 3.6ghz 8 core CPU.

Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz x2 RAM.

Asus M5A78L/USB3 Motherboard.

PSU- a CIT 750 watt, I intend to upgrade this as soon as possible, people tell me I should avoid cheap brands, so I'm getting a corsair.

I have £250 to spend on upgrading this system, what do you guys think? I'm looking for any suggestion, be it new screen or graphics card, but mostly my intentions are gaming. I want something that is going to impact my framerate or visuals substantially.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to the Games forum from Tech Helproom.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Good idea on the PSU as the CIT is absolute rubbish.You do not say what operating system you are using.

Monitor is fine and as you have just £250 to spend I think we are looking at a GPU upgrade.

What sort of games are you looking to play as this can have a bearing on what GPU to suggest.

Like this post
Khorner17

Likes # 0

Running windows 7 atm, windows 8 caused some problems so I ended up going back.

I've clocked onto an OCZ 500watt PSU, seems like a reliable brand and there's positive reviews. I tend to play the most intense games on the market, mostly shooters, simulators or MMO's. ATI 7950 looks like a decent card.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The 7950 would have been my suggestion although there is nothing wrong with your choice of PSU can I suggest perhaps going for 600-650W as that will a bit of headroom and your PSU will need two 6 pin connections for the HD7950 GPU.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Is this the actual Note 4 - video

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...