We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would my present rig work for online gaming?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Would my present rig work for online gaming?

I have...

Windows 7 32bit Home Premium

Intel Dual Core Processer i3-2100

Nvidia GeForce GT 240

Sound Blaster Z

4 gb Ram

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I assure you that you can fit the Arctic to your motherboard. It does not have to stand vertical. The black plastic you can see at the bottom f the cooler is fitted to the motherboard very simply with push pins the heatsink itself is screwed to the base and is very secure and will lie at right angles to the motherboard usually with the fan pointing upwards so the hot air is vent out of the top of the case.

The 650ti is a very capable GPU and will easily handle any game you care to throw at it. You cannot go wrong with Evga as their warranty is 2 or maybe three years and their customer service is second to none.

I am on my tablet at the moment so not able to get a decent look at the site that was selling the i5 2500 for a really low price but there does not seem to be many contact details that I can see which makes me a little wary. I will have a proper look when I am back at the desktop tomorrow.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus

"I assure you that you can fit the Arctic to your motherboard"

This has become academic now, because I have since read the small print on the...Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (all varieties within my price range) they don't support my processor i3, they only support i7 and i5.

As for my budget, well I wouldn't be able to get both a GPU and a processor update. But if I were to get the GPU at this price I would also be able to get some sort of cooling fan and a gaming mouse.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

A heatsink is governed by he CPU socket not the CPU itself. The Arctic fits a socket 1155 which your motherboard is so it will do it's job perfectly.

Again without a budget it difficult to advise on a mouse though I have a couple of Logitech mice the MX518 and it's new version the G400 I also have a Mionix Saiph 3200 but none of these mice have a lot of buttons which I am not keen on.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Came across this. Dabs.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

And this Dabs.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I've never used a mouse for gaming. Because I've only ever played via Playstation and latterly xbox 360. So I guess my preference in controllers would have to be a joy pad.

I've just registered with Steam and they are saying I would be able to play via my TV. They say I would need to link my PC to the TV via an Ethernet LAN Cable. However my TV happens to be a Samsung Smart TV, which already links directly to the Internet via the modem. So what I'm wondering is, if as you said earlier...

"Elder Scrolls Online is a game that can work on both modern and old computers. Developers want to make it playable on every machine."

Would this apply to my TV?

&/or

Why wouldn't it apply to my PC as it is, without alterations/updates?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

A computer monitor has a much higher resolution, and a higher refresh rate. this gives sharper images, and makes it comfortable to sit 2 feet away from. If you sat as close to your television as you do to a computer monitor, then you would soon be having a headache.

I not sure where you are getting your information from as it is quite odd. Steam will be installed on your PC not the TV. The PC will be connected to the internet as far as Steam is concerned and it matter not to Steam that your TV is also connected.

As to whether you want to upgrade your PC or not? Is a question you have already asked and I feel has been answered in regards to the graphic input. Yes your PC will probably play ESO quite OK but with settings lowered. If you want all the bells and whistles then you will need to upgrade your GPU at the least.

As for a gaming mouse, not really necessary any decent mouse will do. But ESO might well have gamepad support so you can connect your Xbox controller to your PC. I have one for the odd game that was a poor port from a console and could only be played with a gamepad. I personally prefer KB/mouse.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

"A computer monitor has a much higher resolution, and a higher refresh rate. this gives sharper images, and makes it comfortable to sit 2 feet away from.

My PC monitor is a LED. My TV monitor is also a LED.

"If you sat as close to your television as you do to a computer monitor, then you would soon be having a headache"

But I don't have to sit anywhere near as close to the TV as I sit to my PC. My TV screen is a 36" wide screen.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think you are understanding me? Yes I have a PC, which needs updating, especially if I want to play online games.

But my question regarding my TV is a separate question, although indirectly connected. The reason being because of the screen size, if I could I'd rather play on that, as I do with xbox 360.

"Steam will be installed on your PC not the TV."

But my TV is a relatively new breed of TV, how so?

Because it is also a computer or at least has Internet access through an onboard hub.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Can you ask specific questions as you are loosing me.But in regards to Steam having to be installed on your PC.Well that is the reason it is a PC.

A Smart TV is the catch-all term for internet TVs. For many new TVs this means access to a collection of apps, an app store for adding more, a web browser and access to home network files all rolled into one interface. But yes you can connect your PC via HDMI to your TV and play on that without any problems.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Well according to Steam's 'Big Picture' requirements the following tells me why I can't play games on my TV directly from the Internet...

Big Picture System Requirements

OS Windows Vista, 7, or 8. Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or newer. (my TV/PC isn't Windows)

Memory 1 GB RAM

Processor 3.0 Ghz P4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or AMD64X2 (or higher)

Video card Required / at least 256MB memory and DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 2.0b, Recommended / 512MB+ memory and DirectX 10-compatible (and I doubt that it would support Shaders of any flavour)

Disk space 1 GB recommended

Internet connection Broadband recommended (Yes it has this)

Controller Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows, Xbox 360 Wired Controller, or Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710 recommended. Keyboard and mouse also supported.

But it would seem that there's no reason why I can't hook it up to my dedicated PC and still use the big screen Happy days. Although I'm still going to have to shell out some cash on my PC. So I'll have another look at your links for a cooler fan and update my GPU. I liked the look and price of the GPU I suggested but I'm still concerned that it doesn't mention SHADERS?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite