We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would my present rig work for online gaming?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Would my present rig work for online gaming?

I have...

Windows 7 32bit Home Premium

Intel Dual Core Processer i3-2100

Nvidia GeForce GT 240

Sound Blaster Z

4 gb Ram

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I suspect you are thinking of ESO. With that in mind I would of thought they are a bit on the low side but, should work with lowish settings.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Mr Mistoffelees

Specifically I'm looking at playing 'Elder Scrolls' MMORPG when the alpha is released sometime this year.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

What if I were to upgrade the Graphics Card for something like...

This

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

That would certainly help. You could also, if funds permit, upgrade your CPU to a Core i5.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Well I have some limited funds, as over the past year I've been saving up to upgrade the Graphics Card. I've just had a quick trawl with the net and this is the cheapest Intel Quad Core i5 CPU I can find...CLICK HERE

However, I've never upgraded a CPU before and as yet I don't know what it entails. I'll look into it and then decide if it's within my capabilities?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Quote.

Elder Scrolls Online is a game that can work on both modern and old computers. Developers want to make it playable on every machine. Of course the picture on your screen will depend on how strong your PC is. Modern hardware shows the best picture and allows to admire beautiful game sights. So if your computer is new or not very old you will see best productivity.

If your computer was made several years ago you will have no troubles with the game. Just change your graphic settings and try to play. It is difficult to say what settings are the best for you. You have to try several variants and chose the best. Do not forget that the game requires more system resources when your character is in a big city with many other players. The more players you see on your screen the more resources are required.

So I would not worry to much about your CPU but definitely upgrade the GPU of course this might mean you will need to upgrade your PSU.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Chronos the 2nd

Thanx for that info, I was intially intending to just upgrade my GPU. But because my rig, only 3 years old, has never been what you might call swift. Having recently read about the Intel i5 Quad, with onboard graphics and how much difference it has made, I thought perhaps I should upgrade. My computer struggles to have more than one thing running at the same time. That is apart from everything that is always running in the background. That and the fact that I've just started having trouble with it's fan, not running fast enough, ergo over heating.

So I thought if I could get an i5-2500 Quad Core, plus Heatsink, plus Fan, plus Thermal Pad, plus onboard graphics and all for £106. Then why not go for it. But having read what you've said and finding out that the i5 has sold out. I have something of a dilemma, should I look around for another i5 plus or just uprade my GPU and get another fan? Problems, problems!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

So I thought if I could get an i5-2500 Quad Core, plus Heatsink, plus Fan, plus Thermal Pad, plus onboard graphics and all for £106.

Where on earth were you getting a i5 2500 for £106 from, for that cash I would buy one for my HTPC. And what do you mean by heatsink and fan? Heatsinks come with a fan.

If your current heatsink is not up to the job then how about an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro which can be had for less than 20 quid.

Having onboard graphics is fine if you are not gaming at all, so you would still need an upgrade for your rather lowly GPU.

If you can post a budget perhaps we can help you decide what would be best in the way of an upgrade.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have just installed Crysis 3 on my spare PC which has a g840 CPU and it runs very well on multiplayer. OK I do have a EVGA 3GB 660 FTW Signature 2 which I picked up on another forum for an absolute song.

But the point I am trying to make my chip compares pretty much with yours and whereas an upgrade is preferable Crysis 3 is perfectly playable on multiplayer with 16 players battling.

I suspect graphically Crysis 3 will be far more intensive than ESO so if you upgrade your GPU first then perhaps your CPU later when funds become available.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus

Intel i5-2500 CLICK HERE There were 5 left yesterday when I saw the ad, but after my uncertainty and not going back till today, they have gone. But they say they'll be getting some more in. As for the Heatsink and Fan, this is how they list it... "Package Contents: Heatsink and Fan"

I've had a look at the Arctic Cooler and it would appear to be standing upright on its own stand with legs. I haven't got anywhere for it to stand like that? Unless I were to stand it on the GPU. But that doesn't seem like a good idea. Anyway, I think I'll probably have to get something like that, because my PC keeps giving me warnings about the temperature. Even though the case itself is a Cooler Master. I have my doubts that anything could keep it cool in the summer, even ones like the UK has. I'm the only person I know that can stand the heat in that room and the reason I can stand it is the medication I have to take makes me feel cold.

What about this for a GPU...CLICK HERE

EVGA NVIDIA GTX 650Ti SSC 1071MHz 5400MHz 2048MB 128bit DDR5 VGA miniHDMI DVI FAN PCIE GRAPHICS CARD 02GP43653KR Components Video Graphics Cards uk.

This is what they say, however there's no mention of shaders that I can see?

"If you’re passionate about first-person shooters like Call of Duty, massively multiplayer online games like World of Warcraft, or real-time strategy games like StarCraft II, then GeForce GTX is for you. Turbocharge your experience with the powerful performance of the EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti and enjoy the latest games in full 1080P HD with this next-generation Nvidia Kepler architecture-based GPU. No 1 American Nvidia Brand, EVGA warranty allows for overclocking, the consumer can replace the reference cooler for better overclocking and as long as they return the original cooler with the card then it will be covered by the EVGA warranty. There is Direct RMA with a 7 working day turn around, Step-up programme enables consumers to upgrade their graphics card within 3 months of purchase and only pay the difference for the more expensive card. EVGA forum offers advice, driver updates and special offers and the EVGA GPU purchase gives enthusiasts free online gaming with EVGA gaming servers"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......