We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New gaming pc for £1200

dobrien09

Likes # 0

Hi guys im new to this forum and new to PC gaming. I am looking to build a new system in the next month that will play next gen games at a decent FPS and was hoping for some advise. I set my budget at £1200 as I thought that was reasonable. Here are some of the specs I am looking at getting: CPU: Intel i5 4670k Motherboard: ASUS Z87 sabertooth GPU: ASUS 7970 DirectCU II RAM: Corsair 2x8 gb Vengeance 1600MHz PSU: Corsair TX750w HD: WD 1TB Black SSD: Sandisk 128GB Pulse Water cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H80i Case: Fractal Design Arc 2 Midi All this comes to £1195. Is there anyway to improve the build without breaking the bank? I would be willing to spend a little over if I had to, just not to much.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You can chop you RAM in half as you will be unlikely ever to use any of the extra 8GB.

In my set up I have 2 x 1TB HDD's alongside my 128GB SSD. One is for films,music,photo's ETC. The other is for my games as I have over 540Gb of games in my Steam folder, add to that Origin and Uplay.

Doing it this way means I do not have to re-install all my Steam games as a quick repair and Steam is up and running. Origin and Uplay are not quite so easy but I do not have many games on those platforms.

Apart from the above not a bad build except I prefer Nvidia for gaming seem to have less driver issues than ATI.

Like this post
dobrien09

Likes # 0

Thanks for the comment. What Nvidia card would you recommend for around the £350 range?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Personally I would go for the EVGA GTX 670 rather than the GTX 680 or a HD 7970. But I lean more towards Nvidia as they seem to have less driver problems.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Don't forget the new GTX 770. Aparently slightly outperforms the GTX 680 whilst using less power and can be bought within your budget: Basic comparison.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Cheers Mr Mistoffelees forgot all about the 770's. Which as you say can be had within budget.And if you can get an Evga for your budget go for it. Has the best customer service of any component maker.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback