We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help with a gaming rig - and many thanks!

Apocsol

Likes # 0

Firstly, I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong place, and if I'm doing this all wrong, just tell me to shoo. But you lot seem like wise types, and I have no idea what needs upgrading on my PC - I haven't used it for gaming for a couple of years, and I don't want to be playing everything on 'low'. So, could you tell me what's good, and what needs fixing? I'd be very grateful! Below is my Belarc Advisor info, tough if anything else is needed, do say. Thanks in advance,

Tom

Operating System System Model Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Processor a Main Circuit Board b 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory cache 4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache 64-bit ready Multi-core (2 total) Not hyper-threaded Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5Q-PRO Rev 1.xx Serial Number: MS1C92BJ2601779 Bus Clock: 266 megahertz BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1613 12/03/2008 Drives Memory Modules c,d 1640.33 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity 793.95 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

NEC DVDRW ND-3550A ATA Device [Optical drive] HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164B ATA Device [Optical drive] 3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

SAMSUNG HD103SI [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 1, s/n S1VSJDWZ527438, rev 1AG01118, SMART Status: Healthy WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B2 [Hard drive] (640.13 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCASY5608295, rev 01.03B01, SMART Status: Healthy 3328 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB (serial number SerNum00) Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB (serial number SerNum01) Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB (serial number SerNum02) Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB (serial number SerNum03) Local Drive Volumes

b: (NTFS on drive 1) 1000.20 GB 531.68 GB free c: (NTFS on drive 0) 640.13 GB 262.27 GB free

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (3x) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 [Display adapter] Hanns.G HF257 [Monitor] (24.3"vis, s/n 936RG3QA10103, September 2009)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Tom.

You have copied a lot of totally useless information. What we really need is just the motherboard/CPU/graphics card ETC.

Mobo: Asus P5Q-PRO Which I see is quite old as it is a socket 775 motherboard.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 64 again old tech.

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 that unfortunately will not handle todays games on anything but low settings if at all.

To be absolutely honest there is little point in upgrading as the money you would spend would not be worth the minimal improvement.

Do you have a budget at all? It might be possible to cannibalise your current PC but buy a new motherboard/CPU/GPU and RAM whilst using the hard-drive perhaps PSU but as you have not specified the wattage that might not be possible.

Like this post
Apocsol

Likes # 0

Ah, apologies.

Is it so dire? I'm able to play Dishonored, for example, on medium settings.

So you reckon I just need a new everything? If so, which part is the biggest bottleneck to start with?

Thanks again! Tom

Like this post
Apocsol

Likes # 0

Although if I can keep it to half that, I'll be overjoyed.

Like this post
Apocsol

Likes # 0

And somehow the bit saying '£800/$1200' got lost.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Are you willing to build?

Are you UK based?

Like this post
Apocsol

Likes # 0

I'm willing to build - been doing so since I was 14! I am also UK-based.

Like this post
Apocsol

Likes # 0

I've made some progress! I plan on:

Monitor - Good GPU - MSI HD 7850 1GB CPU - Intel Core i5-2500K or i5-2700k Motherboard - ? Ram - ? Case - ? PSU - ? Hard Drives - Good

The monitor fits my needs, and the hard drives have most of a terabyte free. So they're solid. The rest needs thought.

Like this post
arbico

Likes # 0

Hi

I would recommend the Intel Core i5 2500K or i5 3570K CPU not an i7 CPU. The i5 is better value for money and will overclock to nearly as much as an i7 CPU anyway. Please remember thought that the i5 2500K is end of life and has been superseded by the i5 3570K.

A good Z77 chipset based motherboard and 8GB to 16GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM will give you a good base for the PC. What is your current case and PSU? You might be able to reuse these.

Kind Regards

Farooq Ahmed

Customer Service

Arbico Computers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous