We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best pre-built gaming rig for around £1000

herrflick
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon Folks,

I'm currently in the market for a gaming PC for £1000 which, aside from the usual stuff, will mainly be used for playing Company of Heroes and its associated Mods. I would like it to be able to handle the new Coh game due out 'soon'? at high to ultra settings.

I currently own a 3 year old Novatech pre build (previously advised on here) http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/2/tech-consumer-advice/371850/please-help-a-noob-have-a-merry-xmas/

Mobo - Foxconn M61PMV CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 425 GC - ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series Ram - 2 x 2GB Crucial DDR2 800 HD - Hitachi 320GB

I've been doing a lot of searching around. I contemplated a self build but I really don't believe I have the patience for that should something go wrong. So, I've narrowed it down to 4 builds and I would appreciate any advice on which is the best (my pref is 3,4,1,2) and any other kind of advice is greatly appreciated.

1. Chillblast Fusion Vantage with changes...

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Vantage.html

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Case

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Oc'd 4.0GHz

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler

Case Cooling Upgrades: Quiet Cooling Fans Upgrade Pack

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard

Memory: 2 x 8GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3

Graphics Card: Chillblast AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072MB or GTX 660??

Solid State Drive: 120GB Samsung 840 Series Solid State Drive

1st Hard Drive: 2TB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps

1st Optical Drive: LG Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive

Power Supply: Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W PSU

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Keyboard and Mouse: Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Mouse

Total cost: £995.18

1. Arbico eXcel i5 5600 OC with changes...

http://www.arbico.co.uk/Arbico-eXcel-i5-5600-OC-Custom-Built-Gaming-Computer-p-.html

Case: Thermaltake V3 BlacX

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K IVY Bridge Oc'd To 4.20GHz

CPU Cooler: Akasa Nero 3 CPU Heatsink and Fan - Included

Case Cooling Upgrades: 3 x 850rpm Ultra Quiet Case Fan

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX (USB 3.0,SATA 3.0)

Memory: 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3

Graphics Card Overclocked NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB

Solid State Drive: Silent 120GB Ultrafast Solid State Drive SATA III

1st Hard Drive: 2TB SATA III

1st Optical Drive: 22x Dual Layer DVD +/- Rewriter

Power Supply: Corsair 600W 2x PCI-E

Heatsink Paste: Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Paste (+£6.99)

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Total cost: £990.99

1. CYBERPOWER ASUS Z77 CONFIGURATOR

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/CyberPowerASUSZ77_Configurator

Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 551 Mid-Tower

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K

CPU Cooler: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator SHARKOON Eagle SE Ultra Slient Modular Fan

Case Cooling Upgrades: 3 x AKASA Silent Fans

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX2 Intel Z77

Memory: 2 x 4G) DDR3/1866mhz Kingston HyperX Predator

Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB Harddrive

Hard Drive: 500GB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM

1st Optical Drives 24x DVD Writer

Power Supply: Corsair 600 Watts CX600 Gaming Power Supply

Total cost: £1019.99

1. Novatech Black NTI36

http://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechblacknti36.html

Case: Novatech ATX Gaming Case

Processor: Intel Core i7 3770 Processor

CPU Cooler: Nothing mentioned, so I assume it comes with none.

Motherboard: Intel Z77 Chipset

Memory: 4 X 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory

Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB Harddrive

Solid State Drive: Intel 520 Cherry Ville 120GB SSD Drive

1st Hard Drive: 2TB Sata III

1st Optical Drives 22x DVD Writer

Power Supply: Novatech PowerStation 600W

Keyboard & Mouse: Novatech Wired Keyboard And mouse

Total cost: £1019.99

Thank You!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

1.Chillblast Fusion Vantage with changes...

This is the one,in my opinion, to choose because if I had a grand to spend I most certainly would be looking for a GTX 670 or the HD 7950. The others only give you a GTX 660 which is a poor card for that sort of money. Chillblast also give you one of the better SSD's and PSU's.

Novatech does not even give you a decent case or cooler so definitely scrub that one.

Like this post
herrflick

Likes # 0

Appreciate the input Chronos.

I like the Chillbalst one too but to get the GTX 670 will add £100 to overall cost. I've discounted the Novatech one because my last Novatech build didn't come with a Win 7 Disk and their warranty (pricey for a decent C&R) is as good as the others.

What do you not like about the Cyberpower one? I like the idea of one very good HD doing all the work as opposed to two seperate ones and having to move stuff back n forth.

How noisy, with my additions, would the Chillblast one be iyo? My current PC can be quite the Dragon late at night when I'm trying to watch a movie on my TV at a level that doen't wake my two kids.

Thanks again.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

An smallish SSD these days is the way to go, stick your operating system and programs on it and should you ever need to reinstall it is a walk in the park.

I have a Corsair M4 128GB with Win 7 and programs alongside that I have a 1TB HDD with docs,music films, non Steam games ETC and a separate 1 TB HDD for my Steam folder which at last count was around 500GB of games.Currently playing DEAD Space 3,Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider on ultimate settings with no problems.

As for the Cyperpower build not much for over a grand.Small HDD and OK(ish) graphics card.

As for noise this is a bug with me I spend a fair bit getting the right fans and fan controller getting it right. There is no way really to tell what sort of noise you will get from a PC until you actually have it near you.

My gaming build.Lian Li PC-V534 Silver/ /ASRock Z77 Pro4-M/I5 2500K/Corsair H60/8GB XMS3 Classic 1600 MHz/Asus Direct CU 11 GTX 670/128GB Crucial m4/2 x 1TB HDD/Corsair AX 650 PSU/Dell U2711/Ducky Shine 2. BitFenix Recon fan controller.3 Antec True quite 120mm fans + 1 Bitfenix Spectre 120mm fan. This is very quiet and very cool. But it took a while to get it right.

Like this post
herrflick

Likes # 0

Thx again Chronos.

I've been messing around with the Chillblast Fusion Vantage again and come up with the following...

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R Midi Tower Case Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K Overclocked to 4.0GHz CPU Cooler: Akasa Venom Voodoo Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste Case Cooling Upgrades: Quiet Cooling Fans Upgrade Pack Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard Memory: 16GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks) Graphics Card: Chillblast AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072MB Graphics Card Solid State Drive: 120GB Samsung 840 Series Solid State Drive 1st Hard Drive: 1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps Power Supply: BeQuiet Pure Power 530W PSU Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Total: £1027.56

Seems a better set up than the previous one for a mere £30 more. Am I missing something?

Would taking the option of overclocking the CPU up to 4.6 GHz (no extra charge) make the system noisier? Will it reduce the longevity of the CPU?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Would taking the option of over-clocking the CPU up to 4.6 GHz (no extra charge) make the system noisier? Will it reduce the longevity of the CPU?

The question you should really be asking is would you see any real difference in performance. The answer is I doubt it, as to your specific questions:

No the system will not be noisier. As for shortening the CPU lifespan, I suspect you would have changed systems long before the CPU died.

Nice set up you have there, should be able to handle any game for quite sometime.

Like this post
herrflick

Likes # 0

Afternoon Chronos.

That's really cleared things up regarding the overclocking, TY. I'm just about ready to take a shot on the above Chillblast build (one last look around just to be sure :) and I'm toiling over a couple of customization issues...

Would this case Fractal R4 be a better option than the Corsair 400R with the quiet cooling fans upgrade in regards to overall sound levels?

CPU Cooler - Akasa Venom Voodoo or Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2?

If I could add another £50 pounds to the budget should I upgrade to the Asus P8Z77-V from the LX version or swap the Radeon HD 7950 for a GTX 660 Ti?

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions Chronos and wasting too much of your time. Been saving up for a while and want to make sure I get it as right as possible.

Thanks.

Like this post
herrflick

Likes # 0

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

"swap the Radeon HD 7950 for a GTX 660 Ti?"

I would stay with the 7950. Compare.

"Would this case Fractal R4 be a better option than the Corsair 400R?"

I have had both cases and with out a doubt the Fractal comes out the better case.

"Should I upgrade to the Asus P8Z77-V from the LX version?"

There really is very little difference for the ordinary user so to be honest really do not see the point.

"CPU Cooler - Akasa Venom Voodoo or Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2?"

I am not keen on big coolers as they exert a lot of pressure on the Mobo, I prefer the self contained water cooling units. The two choices you have would seem to me to be a little over the top and with the Venom that is an extra fan which of course means extra noise. I for one want almost silence for my PC's as fan noise drives me batty. But again really is your choice as you can always remove one of the fans from the Dark rock if you wanted.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

"BeQuiet Pure Power 530W or Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W?"

Both excellent PSU's so go for the little extra wattage and get the Corsair.

Like this post
herrflick

Likes # 0

Sound advice again Chronos.

The only liquid cooling option in the customization is this one http://www.chillblast.com/Corsair-Hydro-Series-H55-Liquid-Cooler.html. Looking at reviews, most seem to back you up on the sound difference, with a few scare stories of leaking pipes and ruined PC's.

Taking your advice on board I have come down to this...

Chillblast Fusion Vantage Fractal Design Define R4 Low Noise Case - Black Pearl
Intel Core i5 3570K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.0GHz
Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid Cooler
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
16GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 8GB sticks)
Chillblast AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072MB Graphics Card
120GB Samsung 840 Series Solid State Drive
1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk - 6Gbps
24x SATA DVD-RW Drive
Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Total Cost: £1027.57
+ £25 Del (Considering they give a free 2 year R&C Warranty, it's ok :)

So, I'm assuming this system will be ok for a couple of years before I have to do any serious upgrades?

I'm almost there, I'm just toying with the idea of adding this monitor 24" Asus VS247H. Not a brilliant monitor but better than what I have (Digimate 24" with temperamental on/off button) taking it off the customization is worth an £85 saving but it's currently retailing at £151.99 so, it's a bit of a bargain. Of course, if I get the monitor I will have to delay buying the nice gaming mouse and keyboard I was going to get.

Decisions, decisions.

:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...