We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

will a high end graphics card always work best on a low end (but up to date) system?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

Is it possible that for a mediocre system, that someone might get BETTER performance out of a less fast equal memory gfx card, to a high end gfx card? If both cards were from the same well known high profile company, for a fair test. I will ignore the fact that you might get the same performance from the computer in terms of output using a lower end gfx card, and that buying a high end card could simply be a waste of money, since a poor processor can only handle so much of what the gfx card has to offer, lol. Its just out of interest. Do some high end cards have far better customization than others (just to confuse matters)? :)

Or will a high end graphics card almost always work best, regardless of the system its used with, and its merely a matter of the gfx card making sure its set to the best settings possible in order to gain the best performance. I am guessing that this is difficult to answer in too much detail if different brands of gfx and motherboard are used together, as some may perform better together than others, but if they were the same well known brand..

Thanks for any info

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

No high end GPU's are not always best. If you have a poor CPU then you will get what is called bottle-necking from your GPU as your CPU tries to keep up so to speak.

Most GPU's these days can be over-clocked but to be honest I have never seen the point as you really will not notice the difference in most games.

Not sure what you mean by customisation when you refer to graphics card.

On my last build I decided that I would try and build goodish gaming PC but to do this it is not just the graphics card (GTX 670) but CPU (I5 2500K) 8GB RAM and a Decent motherboard. So it really is several components being compatible with each other.Not just a case of bunging one decent component in an otherwise mediocre PC.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

So how did you know which graphics card would best suit your cpu and board setup? Any tips - try before you buy isnt always possible ;) lol. By customization, I meant if there was any very basic options or programs upon installation of any card and its drivers in order to prevent bottlenecking-I assume not, ie theres no way to slow it down! thanks for the reply

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The only way to prevent bottle-necking is to have a fairly decent CPU along with your high end GPU. Or you can turn down a games settings but that defeats the object of most games these days which are graphically very complex so to play a game as the developer intended you must have the necessary components. I also play on a U2711 monitor which has a resolution of 2560 x 1440 so again a decent GPU is needed to pump out the graphics at that sort of resolution.

How do I decide what to buy? I spend weeks researching each component and its compatibility with my other possible components. The mobo is reasonably easy, I then decided that the I5 2500K was the best gaming chip around, still is. and then it was what I could afford in regards to the GPU and whether to go for AMD or Nvidia. AMD were losing ground as far as graphic cards were concerned and I finally decided to buy the GTX680 until I was advised to hanf on a couple of months and wait on the GTX670 which was almost as fast as the 680 but a £100 cheaper. So the set up I have now can play anthing I throw at it at ultra high settings and I am getting around 60FPS which is not to be sneezed at.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

sounds like a nice setup. thanks for the info!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...