We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help - Need PC upgrade suggestions

Kazpien
Resolved

Likes # 0

I had help building a computer, but that was a few years ago. I believe my computer is a little out-dated and need some advice on what parts I should upgrade (to what preferably).

Don't want to get too crazy. I am mostly just looking to run the MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic, smoothly and with full graphics.

Here are my computer's current specs.:

Processor: AMD Athlon 7850 Dual-Core - 2.8ghz, Memory: 3gb, Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT x 2 (SLI) - 256 mb each, Power Supply: 800w

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Thanks, I did mean to ask what operating system you are using and whether it is 32 or 64 bit?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

CPU.

RAM.

Graphics card.

I am assuming you are in the states with the dollar budget but of course many other countries have the dollar.

Anyway hope these suggestions have given you a rough idea on components and prices.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

Or I'd ditch the am2 stuff and go am3+, at least it leaves you with an upgrade path of sorts plus gives you ddr3 RAM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135314 ECS A960M-M2 (mobo)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814134131ECS NGTX560TI-1GPI-F1 (GPU)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104277Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (RAM)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103727AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 (CPU)

Total $374:96

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 1

The most important thing to consider is budget as it is very difficult to make suggestions until we know how much cash you have to spend.

Your CPU is an AM2+ and you have an ancient GPU x 2 much better to have one decent graphics card less to cause problems. Make and type of RAM? Motherboard?

Like this post
Kazpien

Likes # 0

Thank you for your response. Here's the additional information you requested:

Motherboard: ASUS Motherboard M3N72-D

Ram: 3 x Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model KHX8500D2/1G

I'm looking at a budget of about $400

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry rubbish links in the above post for some reason.

MOBO

RAM

CPU

GPU

Like this post  
Kazpien

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for your time Chronos! This was excellent and should be very helpful. (and I am in the states)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Your welcome.

Like this post
GrowlGun

Likes # 0

Hello

I have Radeon 4670 1GB and I wanna to buy GF 560Ti but I dont know that my motherboard can handle it. I have ASROCK G41C VS

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You should really start you own thread rather than piggyback someone else's. The motherboard can certainly take the graphics card as it has a PCI_E slot but we need more details. Your processor and power supply would be helpful.

But start your own thread you will get more help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......