We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need advice for new playing games/making games build

kaza1205

Likes # 0

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a rig for making/playing games, ill be using software like Unity 4, Photoshop, Blender etc so there will be alot of rendering etc..

Id like to be able to play bf3, bo2, planetside 2, Dayz and definitely far cry 3. don't really care about max graphics, but id like them to look good :]

I have put a few ideas together myself, but i haven't got the best knowledge when it comes to building pc's, not sure if they are all compatible etc so this is where id need your help :]

So far i have put this together, feel free to tell me if its rubbish etc :p any ideas will help :]

Intel Core i5 - 2500k - 114 pound

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H - 93.64

Zotac AMP! ZT-50302-10M - 130.94

Kingston HyperX Blu 2x4GB - 41 pound

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS (1TB) - 37 pound

Kingston HyperX 120 GB Internal SSD Serial ATA-600 2.5" Black, aluminium 3K - 56 pound

This totals at - 472.58

Thats without a power supply and case though.

Budget, Roughly 500 pound, if i can get it cheaper then happy days :] I have 2 monitors, so they dont need included in the budget, i have mouse, keyboard also, I need a new:

• Processor
  • Motherboard
  • Graphics Card
  • RAM
  • HDD
  • SSD
  • Power Supply

I live in the UK by the way :] Any help is appreciated :]

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Try going on one of the custom PC builders websites , they have customizing pages , so you can play around and see what you can get for your hard earned cash . you can get a reasonable case / PSU combo for around £25 . As an example http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cit-reaper-atx-case-black-interior-with-500w-12cm-black-psu , tho you may want to get more fans . As for the rest of the gear you are looking at , all seems pretty reasonable , could try this for memory http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-jet-black-lp-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-15v . I use vengeance ram ,had no probs with it , and is slightly cheaper at £37 , SSD is ok , but I would double check that price , looks a bit too cheap .

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Whilst Z77 mobos are compatible (at least the better ones) with Sandybridge processors, they are intended for Ivybridge, and, with Sandybridge, are not fully utilised.

If you want to use an unlocked processor, the i5-3570K performs better, is better suited to Z77, at minimal additional cost. To be honest though, unless you specifically want the ability to overclock processor, it would be more cost effective to use, say, i5-3470 and a H77 mobo. That would free up some funds, perhaps, for better quality elsewhere. Bear in mind, if you want to OC CPU, you will need an aftermarket cooler, the stock one isn't adequate.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK