We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nvidia GTX 295 - Disable Multi-GPU issue.

stroud330

Likes # 0

Hi Guys, This is my first post here, I wonder if you can offer any advice?

I've got the following specs..

CPU: i7 920 MOTHERBOARD: Foxconn Flaming Blade Motherboard RAM: 8GB RAM HARDRIVE: 1 TB 7200 HD VIDEO: NVID GTX 295 Video Card O/S: WINDOWS 7 64 PSU: Power Supply 750w Good case with Fans etc

My PC runs fine, runs Cubase 7 with loads of plug ins, Photoshop etc all with no problems. When I try to play a game however I've been getting BSOD or freezing, forcing me to Ctrl/alt/delete my way out of it or just switching PC off. Recent games such as Crysis 2 or Arma2, DayZ etc all load and start fine but then freeze or BSOD within a couple of minutes. I've got upto date drivers for everything, I've checked RAM, hard drives etc, but last night I switched off multi GPU and I was able to play a game of DayZ for the first time ever.

Do you think this mean my Video card needs replacing or could it be a power supply or software issue?

All my software is legit btw. Also just to say, I've tried rolling back drivers, re installing windows etc, I'm left feeling that it's probably a hardware fault, but this isn't my area of expertise.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Like this post
stroud330

Likes # 0

Hi mate, the nvidia gtx 295 is effectively two cards in one, you can turn multi gpu on (ie: both cards on) or turn it off (running just a single card) in the nvidia control panel.

Thanks,

Steve

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Can you provide a link to your Nvidia GPU?

Like this post
stroud330

Likes # 0

Like this post
stroud330

Likes # 0

Thanks Dr Yes, I'll look into the temp monitoring situation.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

This is a well known issue of the early version of twin GPU GTX295, overheating in extensive gaming.

I'd 2x these GTX295 from Gainward (still got them but retired & boxed up) in Qual Sli some years ago, I put them in a Coolermaster full tower. I drilled rows of 1" diameter of holes on the 1mm solid aluminium side panel as well as cut out 2 holes on an internal hinged plastic Graphic cards protecting cover for 2x 120mm fans .

Together with other cooling fans this kept the cards cool, had no problem whatsoever for years playing games extensively hours a day ,mind you these cards are hot & worse if there are 2 in a system.

Take the side panel off & stick a desk fan or similar to blow direct into the GTX295(with both GPU enabled), if you can play games without glitch then you should know what the culprit is.

Like this post
stroud330

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,

assuming nothing works and it seems like the Graphics Card is faulty, could anyone recommend an alternative?

My motherboard is Foxconn Flaming Blade GTI.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=motherboard&U=en-us0000458

Many thanks

Steve

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

The GTX295 is still a very powerful although supports DX10 only card, I'd say it's nearly as good as GTX480 but expensive to get now.

A GTX560ti or GTX570 should be a good alternative IMHO .

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite