We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help Putting together a gaming rig

David77777

Likes # 0

Hey guys. I have a budget of 1.5k and im looking for peoples opinions on what components I should use to put together a rig that will provide the best possible gaming experience. The budget is for the tower alone as i have the monitor etc.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Is this a rig you will be building yourself or are you looking for prebuilt as you can get an excellent PC for that sort of cash.

Like this post
David77777

Likes # 0

It is one that i am going to build myself (with help) although always open to prebuilt if the perfect one came along. My knowledge is not huge so I am trying to put the question to different people to see what they would actually come up with given the 1.5k budget. Maximum performance is key for me but being able to upgrade in future would be nice too.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have been building for some years now and although it probably is more of a labour of love now as opposed to being very much cheaper and believe that a great deal of the fun is researching components.

I am on the phone at the moment and will not be on my PC until tomorrow where I will post a spec or two.

Like this post
David77777

Likes # 0

I agree with you. This is the first time I have had time to build and I am currently enjoying looking at different things. Although there is alot to it!

If you could post a spec that would be fantastic and greatly appriciated.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to our Games forum from Tech Consumer advice.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Here we go.

Mobo. Z77X-UD3H

CPU i5 3570K

RAM Corsair Vengeance

PSU EVGA SuperNova NEX 650W

Cooler Corsair H100i Hydro CPU Cooler

SSD Samsung 256GB 830

HDD 1TB Harddrive

GPU GTX 670

Optical DVD Writer

Sound card Asus Xonar DGX 5.1

I have not included the case as that is something I feel you should look for yourself as it is you that will be looking at it. But you want to be looking for good airflow from front to back preferably with exhaust from the top. As I have included the H100 cooler ,which has a twin fan/radiator, you need to have two fan points at the top of the case though it is simple enough to swap the cooler for a single fan radiator, this.

This is just a guide and comes to around £1004 and you will notice that the components are all from Scan Computing. That is only because I buy most of my components there and they have excellent customer service should anything go wrong.

Like this post
David77777

Likes # 0

Thanks for the advice man!! Really helpful i will start ordering components soon!.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Your welcome.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

To add to Chronos the 2nd's good advice: I have a Core i5 3570k, running at 4.5GHz, cooled with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro This is performing very well inside a Zalman Z9 case (below 40C running Prime95 on all cores) and very quite too.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

Good coolers, but I must admit to being hooked on the self contained water coolers. Just downsized my case (see specs) //Lian Li V354A//Gigabyte H77-D3H//I5 2500K //CM Hyper TX3 //8GB XMS3 Classic 1600 MHz//Asus Direct CU 11 GTX 670//128GB Crucial m4//2 x 1TB HDD//Corsair AX 650 PSU//Dell U2711//Dell U2410// and was most annoyed that I could not use my Khuler 920. Lucky I had the Hyper T3X kicking about. I am looking for a decent low profile cooler as the above is just a little to snug.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement