We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gaming PC comparison/advice required

Jason UK

Likes # 0

Hi

I'm looking for a comparison of these 3 PCs as a gaming PC:

http://www.ebuyer.com/409310-cyberpower-gaming-battalion-502-pc-ecc01142

http://www.ebuyer.com/397467-cyberpower-gaming-mini-academy-ecc01138

http://www.ebuyer.com/395301-zoostorm-gaming-pc-7873-0437

They don't seem too bad at first glance, and especially for their prices (budget of around £600 for the base unit).

Am I missing something? The last one could probably do with a PSU upgrade, but other than that I can't see anything massively wrong with these.

I appreciate any advice with this.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The problem with all these types of build is that they tend to use one "headline" component, and then combine it with a total load of rubbish, to make the build really cheap. The standard comment is you can build something much better yourself, and of course you can, but unless you also use cheap rubbish, it's going to be more expensive. With your budget, I would build something like this, which would have much better performance, and actually last more than five minutes.

Hope that works, as we seem to have lost the "Globe"

Anyway, having had my say, of the three, I would reluctantly prefer the first one, on the basis that it does have some sort of quad core processor, and by far the best graphics card. I tend to think it has a very old motherboard, and I don't like "un-named" power supplies (usually means they're awful), but assuming it's reliable, will probably game the best of the three.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I thought that might not work, as globe was missing, try again.

link that may work

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

For info, a comparason of performance between best of three, and suggested home build. Benchmark by Anandtech.

Benchmarks

Like this post
Jason UK

Likes # 0

Thanks frybluff, useful stuff. Think i'll go along the build route.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Will certainly be better, both in terms of quality and performance. Build I did is about "best bang for your buck", at budget. Of course, it can be tweaked, particularly to get a case you "like", or you could spend more, to get even better.

If you use a supplier like Scan, you should find everything you need, with pictures (to help with things like case). They also do low-cost insurance, against accidental damage to components, which gives added "peace of mind", if you are not experienced. Honestly, you shouldn't have any real problems. Self-build is pretty easy, these days, and there are plenty of guides/video on the net.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes