We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Crash Dumps on new PC?? Help!!!

Tomfri2

Likes # 0

I have recently upgraded my system as I wanted to start playing more upto date games, I bought a new MB, Asus P8Z68-V LX Socket 1155, and processor, Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155, I also bought G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit, I am using this with two harddrives, and a Geforce 460 GTX, also my psu is 650 watts. When playing on steam every so often, my comp gives me BSOD and says it is crash dumping, then more recently it just has been freezing with a loud whirring noise coming from my speakers, then goes to crash dump screen, I am worried that maybe my PSU cant run my computer, as my new mb has two power pins with only one in, but a friend assured me that you do not need both to run, and my omp runs fine apart from this, also top of my pc feels quite hot to touch which made me wonder is it a failing PSU, but I do not know what causes this error, I have taken a pic of error codes after windows restart if thats any help, please help me !!!!!!!

Like this post
Tomfri2

Likes # 0

I may need a hgiher wattage of psu, cos I may upgrade again, with case, I didnt think tbh, didnt really think id need one, I may buy the case, and build another com pwith old one to sell, so you reckon deffo getting new psu and case then yea?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Many people make mistakes when buying a PSU,I know I did when I first started building,large wattage does not mean good.A cheapo PSU can blow and take most of your PC with it so always buy a decent PSU. A decent 550W PSU is more than you need and unless you are going to upgrade to a fairly powerful graphics card then then 550W is more than enough. But by all means go for a decent 650W.

As for a case, there is a lot of heat produced in a PC from the CPU and HDD and GPU which at the moment is being pump into your case with no fans to exhaust it. So yes a decent case with good airflow is also essential.

Like this post
Tomfri2

Likes # 0

Tbh i didnt really see case as a issue. I thought it would be fine, I like your suggestions, that case looks sound, but I think I may need more wattage for psu, cos I may add a new gfx card soon, what you suggest, you reckon buying new case and psu, should sort my problem?

Like this post
Tomfri2

Likes # 0

Cheers for your help mate, I really appreciate it, I just want you to look at these two link, what do you reckon about these, cos I think this is what I may buy??

http://www.ebuyer.com/172779-casecom-6788-all-black-case-km-6788-black

http://www.ebuyer.com/191847-powercool-650w-modular-psu-80-dual-12v-v2-2-high-efficiency-psupc650aubam

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am going to be brutally honest I would not touch the case with the proverbial barge pole but it will do the job. But I see you will need to add a fan for the rear and the top. A couple of 120MM will do and by the way make sure when you fit them that the air is blowing out of the case and not into the case.

PSU again not something I would buy but it is a reasonable PSU for the price.

Like this post
Tomfri2

Likes # 0

Hmmm ok well that purchase doesnt fill me with confidence, plus also I cant be arsed added fans, shall I just buy the case you suggested? also whats up with psu?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The PSU is something I would use for a build for someone on a budget, I myself spend a fair bit on my own components.

If you cannot be botherec to screw in a couple of fans I do not know what else to suggest.

Like this post
Tomfri2

Likes # 0

well no thats what im saying, ill buy that case you first suggested that has plenty of fans already doesnt it? if u mind you fancy looking for a 650w, that I can rely on, also your opinon on case, that one u suggested originally good then yea?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I would like for you to stick one in the front for airflow, but that is up to you it does at least have one at the back (needed) and one at the top (recommended). Good cases from a brand (Antec) I have used them in the past.

OK, I really cannot recommend the Powercooler PSU as I have looked at some reviews and it really is not worth the risk. So I can I suggest this OCZ, which I would use myself.

Like this post
Tomfri2

Likes # 0

Right fuck it mate, ill go for antec case, and that psu, you have just suggested, hopefully this may fix my problem, do you want me to keep you updated or you sick of my shit lol

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'