We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

COD WAW PC error, cant initialise punkbuster, although running in task manager

Chrissib

Likes # 0

when I load my game, I get an error, telling me punkbuster has failed to initialise. Although when I look in task manager, it's listed as a running process.

Any idea how I can overcome this please Chris

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Possible fix here. Punkbuster.

Like this post
Chrissib

Likes # 0

ok I followed the instructions on the links/posts, and it still doesn't work. I noted that both punkbuster A + B are listed in your posts, but I can only see punkbuster A in the running processes.

I followed the suggested links to evenbalance.com, and downloaded the 'players' file, into the game directory path to 'pb' directory, rebooted and still comes up with 'failed to initialise' error.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Did you check page 2 of the link? Here.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Have you tried uninstalling it and loading it again? Also, turn off your anti virus and spyware software incase it's blocking it. May need to be given permission by your firewall as well.

Like this post
Chrissib

Likes # 0

Page 2 refers to COD4, but viewed the links and manual for COD WAW instead.

Followed the instructions. Tilder key (~) doesn't bring down the console, so I cant check Pb version running, but when I join a game server, I get an option to start Pb. I chose 'yes', and it still says 'failed to initialise'

Dont know what else to try, I am reluctant to reload the whole game, as I dont want to lose my progress in the game.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

To enable console in game go to options and controls --> game options --> enable console --> yes/no.

Save game folder location: You will have to go to Folder Options in control Panel then View then put a check in Show hidden files,folders and drives. You can then copy the save folder and copy it across if you ever have to reinstall the game without losing anything.

For Vista: C:\Users\YOUR.USERNAME\AppData\Local\Activision\CoDWaW\players\profiles

in XP try

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR.USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Activision\CoDWaW\players\profiles

Windows 7

C:/Users/Your Name/App Data/Local/Activision/CoDWaW/Players/Profiles or Saves

Like this post
Chrissib

Likes # 0

OK I am running XP. I have enabled console in options, and tried again, but still PB fails to initialise.

I downloaded the Pbsetup file, but this gets as far as the 'terms and conditions' page, which I agree to, then it says it needs to check for updates, and then crashes, with a 'send error report'. And that's it, that's as far as I can get.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

My suggestion is to completely uninstall the game after copying the games save folder and reinstalling it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015