We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

overclocking

jimbojetset69

Likes # 0

can some one tell me what does over clocking do ,to some one who does not over clock does the person who overclocks has a upper hand i dont like the cheat word if it means a advantage to some one using exact same set up as a none over clocker it baffle me as i am a large noob lol

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Overclocking is, basically, increasing the clock speed, of a processor, to improve performance. It will have down sides, in terms of heat production, and reliability.

It's certainly not cheating, any more than tuning up your car's engine, if you want to take it racing. Just beware, in both cases, you will probably invalidate any warranty.

Like this post
jimbojetset69

Likes # 0

well frybluff thank you for taking your time to reply back to me so i think there is no point in me asking someone to over clock my new gear then so thank you for clearing that up for me cheers

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Personally, I wouldn't, particularly with new kit, from a "mainstream" manufacturer, because of the potential warranty issue. However, for a lot of ardent gamers, it's the first thing they WOULD do. It's a personal choice.

Like this post
manoj9585

Likes # 0

Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the specified clock frequency by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten