We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Gaming PC I'm Considering.

Willioms
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi i'm pretty new to pc building in fact this will be my first build, so I was hoping to get some advice on parts compatibility or even if there are some better deals out there. My budget is just over £500 including a monitor and would preferably keep it under this if i can, this is what i have so far.

GeForce GTX 550 Ti: £96 AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHZ: £94 GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2-FX-3.1 Geforce 7025: £31 Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Non-ECC: £20 Seagate 500GB 3.5 SATA-III 6Gb/s 7200RPM 16MB Cache: £54 CoolerMaster 600W Silent Pro Modulatar: £63 Antec 300 Case: £44 LiteOn iHas124 Sata DVD Optical Drive OEM: £15 (All of these are from ebuyer) £417 total

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks.

Like this post
Willioms

Likes # 0

Would all these parts be compatible with each other thats what's most important to know :P

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Yep the components are compatible, you could if you wanted lower the power supply to 500W and save a few quid, this one for instance: PSU.

What will your PC be mainly used for, you have this in the gaming section so I am assuming you are a gamer? The GTX 550Ti is not a great gaming card so dependent of the types of games you play this might struggle.

Like this post
Willioms

Likes # 0

Thanks for your reply and yeah i will be mainly gaming on it, i searched a few youtube videos on the games i would play with the 550 ti e.g. old republic and they looked like they ran fine, even saw battlefield 3 and crysis 2 running on it supposedly take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1HcDp9iGUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_M6L2Yy9uk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPddsNUHG_M

Like i say don't know if they are entirely truthful but people seem to think it's an underrated card. Oh and thanks for the compatibility check.

Like this post
Willioms

Likes # 0

That PSU also looks good ty, i'm not someone who's too concerned with running max settings or anything like that especially not shadows :P as long as it has some graphical quality but i'm open to suggestions anyway

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The 550Ti is not completely useless but it will struggle sooner rather than later as games get more and more graphic intensive. If I were you I would see if I could stretch to a ATI HD 6870 or the equivalent Nvidia card but if not then go with your choice as you can always upgrade in the future.

Like this post
Willioms

Likes # 0

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

PowerColor HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual Mini DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card, Click here

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Or here, 6800 series. That is a better GPU than the 550Ti and given that you are trying to keep within a budget of 500 quid then the 6850 is a fair choice. 6870 vs 550Ti.

Like this post
Willioms

Likes # 0

Yeah i think i'm gonna go with the 6850, possibly the 6870 if i can stretch it thanks for the info guys :) oh and one final thing:

http://www.ebuyer.com/263387-tp-link-wireless-n150-pcie-card-tl-wn781nd

Is that as simple as it gets with wireless cards? I will need a wireless connection from my build to the router.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

Yep that will do for wireless.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...