We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New computer build advice and thoughts please

lukejennings23

Likes # 0

Hi I am currently considering building a new pc, i just want some advice from some people who know more about this than I do. The components im thinking of using are:

Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics ASUS® P8Z77-V PRO: PCI-E 3.0 READY,WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB) 2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6970 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE Bigfoot Killer 2100 PCI-E Gigabit LAN Card - Max Gaming network card.

I want to use it for some gaming like guild wars 2 when it is fully released and want to be able to run high settings without any problems. Do you think this is a good build? if not how to improve it (baring in cost issues) and also can you comment on the network card and whether its needed. thanks

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

It's an interesting build.

Good choice of CPU - the 2600k's are a great processor.

Your motherboard choice, combined with everything else you've got is a bit of an anomaly - not good enough to cope with major overclock's, but over spec'd for basic overclocking or no overclocking.

Your RAM quantity is fine, but you can safely go for unbranded RAM wthout any noticeable performance hit. It will save you money though. The caveat to this is if you want to overclock, in which case, stick with you Samsung, or go for something like Corsair XMS3

Graphic card choice is good, but if you can free up budget from RAM / motherboard to upgrade, then go for it.....but...

Your PSU looks a little underpowered. I'd look at 800W myself. It leaves a little more head room for future upgrades, especially in the graphics department.

Hard drive is Ok. SSDs are nice, but only if budget allows.

You've not mentioned anything in your post to indicate that the network card is required. Your motherboard choice (and almost all motherboards) have perfectly adequate LAN ports on them.

One more comment....you've not mentioned a CPU cooler, so I'm assuming that you're intending using the Intel supplied cooler. That's fine, but it will limit overclocking ability - that's fine if you don't intent major boosting of performance, in which case you can definitely spend less on your motherboard.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers