We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Games not recognising graphics.

frybluff

Likes # 0

Forgive me for asking a "beginner's" question.

If, on loading a game, it is unable to recognise the presence of discreet graphics (I presume due to Optimus), is there a way to "tell" it there is one?

I have nVidia GT555M, and Windows 7 HP.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You do not have a discreet graphics card,you have an integrated graphics card.An integrated video card is "integrated" into the motherboard. That means the motherboard has a video card built in. A "discrete" video card means that you have a separate video card, one that typically plugs in to one of the expansion slots.

I assume you have a laptop with this GPU? Nvidia GT 555 M

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

That is correct, in Dell XPS.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Nothing more to be said then I have answered your question,I believe.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Apologies for incorrect terminology. I should have said "dedicated" rather than "discreet".

The problem I have is that, when I try to load an "old" game, I get a message saying that my "HD3000 graphics is inadequate to play the game". I assumed that this is because "optimus" only causes the nVidia graphics to "kick in", when it's actually needed. The game possibly pre-dates "optimus", and therefore doesn't recognise it.

What I'm looking for, is a way to either tell the game I do have something better than HD3000, or a way to tell the nVidia card to always activate for the game.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

me again :) have a look at the last post in techrepublic.com not saying that will work for you, but is a start.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

looks like a common problem, with games wanting to use the graphics integrated into the CPU, rather than the motherboard/card.

have a look at the reply at 11-05-2011, 10:54 AM http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2219935&page=3 maybe you can follow the advice but add the exe for your 'old' game

Like this post
thegatekeeper

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link X7-250, that helped me fix an old computer I had lyring around. It can now play games!

Clive Bokley @ Diablo 3

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes