We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CoD:Black Ops reinstall problem on Steam

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Have tried Steam support but no comeback from them to date.

I have MW2 and 3 installed and they play fine. I installed Black Ops some time ago - from its disc - and that too played fine. Now, for some reason, it won't load beyond the Treyarch logo, which appears after a few seconds, and the game freezes and I can only close it down from Task Manager.

I've tried three times now to re-install from my disc, after first deleting local content from my Games Library list but no success. I'm thinking of installing from the servers but that will apparently take many hours.

Any help much appreciated, guys. TC.

Win & Pro SP1 - fully updated 12GB of DDR3 memory AMD Radeon HD 5800 graphics - latest drivers Intel i7 930 CPU

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Where do I find that option please, X7-250? I've checked everywhere but I can't spot it! TC.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

directly below 'Library' should be a dropdown box, probably showing 'all games' at the moment.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Got it! Changed tag to 'Installed' and just my working games are listed now. Thanks a bunch!! :) TC.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Today I had a reply from Steam support. Could possibly be of some help here for others having a problem so will post here what they suggested. TC.

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

If you are running in Windows Vista or Windows 7, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator."

If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps: 1) Exit Steam. 2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK". 3) Navigate to the following registry key: \HKEYCURRENTUSER\SOFTWARE\VALVE\ 4) Right click and select "Permissions" 5) Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".

If you have not already installed the Multiplayer component for the game, please log in to your Steam account, then type the following into a web browser and press enter: steam://install/42710

Then, verify GCF for both "Call of Duty: Black Ops" and "Call of Duty: Black Ops - Multiplayer" at least once:

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF) Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

NOTE: There may be files that fail to validate. This is normal and can be ignored.

If the problem remains, you may need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Call of Duty: Black Ops installation folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops)

You will need to run the following installers:

...\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\Redist\vcredist_x86.exe

...\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\Redist\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

Then, restart your computer and test the issue again.

If the issue persists, further support for this title is handled by a third party support department.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone