We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade graphics card

andydgra

Likes # 0

I want to play fifa 2012 and need to upgrade graphics card, what is a good upgrade from ATi Radeon X600 256MB PCI-Express

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It depends on your budget also it would be useful to know what motherboard you have and which CPU is installed. If you do not know,download and install: Belarc, this will give you the necessary info. Please post back with the answers then we will be better able to advise you.

Like this post
andydgra

Likes # 0

3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 16 kilobyte primary memory cache 2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache 64-bit ready Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7091

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 07/26/2005

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Sorry, but that is not the model number of your motherboard. So far I know it is a MSI board but not the model number. Did you not install ?

I am assuming you have a quite old Pentium 4 which will mean quite an od motherboard. What about budget?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

My apologies I see it is a MSI-7091. So just your budget question to answer.

Like this post
andydgra

Likes # 0

thinking of no more than £100ish

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Ok, if no one else suggests anything tonight, I'll post back tomorrow,but I do not think you will need to spend that sort of cash.

Like this post
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

How about the ATI Radeon HD6850 for about £110? Or the HD6790 for about £100. Both significant upgrades from your current card.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

How about the ATI Radeon HD6850 for about £110? Or the HD6790 for about £100. Both significant upgrades from your current card.

In my opinion those suggestions are a little over the top,both would probably need a power supply and I for one would not pair either of those cards with a Pentium 4 CPU. A much more reasonable HD 4670 or a HD 5570/5670 if staying with ATI. An 8400GS if switching to Nvidia.

There will of course be other cards but you have to take into consideration what your power supply is as some cards need to be connected directly to the PSU.

Like this post
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

He was looking for a good upgrade to the X600. The 8400GS is roughly equal to what he already has. If he spent £100 on a decent card then that should last a few years as opposed to getting a cheapish one and having to upgrade again a few months or year down the line.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

My apologies Ibanez2010 you are quite correct about the 8400GS but the ones you suggested are way over the top then adding a decent new PSU is well over budget.Then he would likely have a problem of bottle necking pairing them with a P4 processor.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED