We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reducing the cost of my gaming build

Blak Oner
Resolved

Likes # 0

This is my first gaming PC build, I've got no decent reusable parts from older computers so I'm really building from the the ground up. I'll be using it mostly for gaming on relatively high settings (mostly modern games like BF3, Skyrim), video editing and music production on the side (an expensive soundcard isn't necessary, I only produce music recreationally).

I've had a look around at recommended components and started to compile a list of a possible build. I'd prefer to limit myself to around £700-£800, but the main priority is having a computer that'll work well for what I like to do. I'm fairly adept when it comes to computing but I've never tried building a desktop myself. I also want to know if this is a balanced build and will be good for what I intend on using it for.

Here's what I have so far:

BitFenix Shinobi Black with Window Midi Tower Chassis - £59.99

650W Corsair TX650 V2 ATX2.3 SLI/Crossfire Compliant PSU- £71.06

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz - £170.39

Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 DirectCU II 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-GPU - £177.95

2TB Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive - £143.99

8GB Exceleram White Sark Series (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit - EBW301A - £35.99

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard - £148.24

Sony Optical 24x DVD Writer, AD-5280S-0B, SATA, Black, OEM - £15.57

I'd like to know if any of these parts aren't compatible, but mainly if I can cut the costs by changing components to more suited ones. You'll have to pardon my pure noobness but I've never really delved into this area before.

Some good constructive answers would be appreciated, thanks.

Like this post
Blak Oner

Likes # 0

Do you mean 600W? that's the wattage of the PSU you suggested earlier. If so, is there a very significant difference between 600 and 650? the PSU I chose is supposed to work most effectively with the case. As for the motherboard, i did change that after I capped the image, along with the optical drive after I found out it was external, hopefully this">http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/z349/BlakOner/?action=view&current=PCBUILD2.png%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z349/BlakOner/PCBUILD2.png%22%20border=%220%22%20alt=%22Photobucket%22">this spec is better now.

Like this post
Blak Oner

Likes # 0

okay this is really annoying now, look here :P

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You are quite correct about the PSU it was my mistake I meant to suggest this one: 500W PSUIt will knock 30 quid off. With the money you have saved you could get 2-3 of these: Fans 2 for the front and 1 for the side, adds cooling and light.

Rest of your components are good, you'll have a nice rig when you get it built.

Like this post
Blak Oner

Likes # 0

Ahh I see, it would certainly be good to have extra fans, I'll definitely go that way then, seeing as I probably won't actually need that much power from a 650W. I might also get some dust filters to go with them, I live with a cat so I don't want his fur clogging up my computer.

Thanks so much for the help, you've turned me from clueless to being able to buy build and maintain with confidence!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Your welcome,as I have already said if you need any further help,don't hesitate to ask. I can still remember my first build which was a good few years ago, I made silly mistakes but eventually got it going. So although components are simpler to install these days and there is much more help available it still does not always go to plan. But that is half the fun of building your own PC, anyway you get exactly what you want in a build and you learn a lot in the build process. So enjoy and post back how you get on.

Like this post
Blak Oner

Likes # 0

There definitely is tons of useful information for PC building, the only problem with the "building a PC" guides is they go out of date quite frequently. So it's always really valuable to get an opinion of someone who knows what they're doing through a forum or something, because it's all up to date. I was also really surprised at how active all of these forums are. Yes, there definitely is merit to building something that you'll really get use out of too, and it also gives you experience if you'd ever want to upgrade parts in the future. I might post a few photos of the build process if I get round to it, I can't wait!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

If you want to post pictures, then create an album on Photbucket and then just provide a link to it. Also useful if you want to photograph any problems.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?