We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Up grade advice please

ordep

Likes # 0

Looking to u/g my spec, which is;

Present spec.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz 4Mb C M/B. QC Gigabyte GAP35-ds3L - 1333fsb,D G/C. Novatech GTs250 1GB Memory. 2GB Crucial ballstix DDR2-2x 1GB PSU. Colors 550 watt Gold silent. OP W7

I primarily play games.

I was thinking of the Asus nVidia GeForce GTX 570 DirectCU 11 card. (1.28) But unsure if this is enough, just changing the card that is. There's the 560 card, lower spec of course but, I'ld rather get the best card I can. (Saves time & money in the long run)

Would appreciate any advice, Thanks Ordep

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Borderline pointless with a dual-core CPU limiting things, and I'm not sure if I'd trust that PSU brand to supply enough juice either (and does it have PCIe plugs in sufficient quantities).

PSU is questionable for a 570. that and the dual-core, I recommend 560Ti. or better yet, wait until end of month, nvidia is coming out with 560Ti 448 core (poor man's 570) but that also requires more juice....

I see you got 2Gb of RAM. 570 is overkill unless you have the extra cash and want to put it for future investment, but with C2D and 2Gb of RAM, the 570 will be severly crippled.

Like this post
ordep

Likes # 0

Thanks for your input Gengis,you've pretty much confirmed what I was thinking in that the 570 is over kill & not compatible with the present set-up.

I would appreciate your opinion on Chillblast. I see there rated in the PCA reviews.

http://www.chillblast.com/Systems-over-L1200/

Budget up to 2K, and as stated, used for gaming. There's two or three there but what the difference between them is I've no idea.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

First off, what sort of games? Would you be interested in a multi monitor setup?

Like this post
ordep

Likes # 0

Would you be interested in a multi monitor setup? No.

CoD3, Boardlands for example.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Had a look at the site you linked to. Having looked at their prices, they basically charge anywhere between 10-20% extra per item. As I build my PC's I am not particularly good at selecting pre-built ones.If I had two grand I would get a Dell U2711 monitor, which is around £500, I think,( I have the Dell UltraSharp U2410) and then the best I could get for £1500. But there again I would just buy the parts and build it myself.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Like this post
ordep

Likes # 0

Thanks Gengis. You've got me thinking about monitors know! Useful site here if any ones on the lookout for a monitor.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/selector.htm

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Very useful,just had a quick go and what came up? The Dell U2711. LOL.

Like this post
ordep

Likes # 0

Thought you might be interested in my final choice.

Chillblast Fusion Blackbird 4.6GHz Core i7 2600K, 16GB, Radeon 6990 4GB Selected products: Corsair Graphite 600T Midi Tower Case in white £95.00 Intel Core i7 2700K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.9GHz £326.84 Corsair A70 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler £30.00 Generic thermal paste £0.00 Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard £140.00 16GB Corsair PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (4 x 4GB sticks) £160.00 Chillblast AMD Radeon HD 6990 4096MB Graphics Card £440.00 60GB Corsair Force 3 Solid State Drive £140.00 1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk £35.00 Samsung Blu-Ray ROM / DVD-RW Combi Drive £38.00 Corsair TX 850W PSU £80.00 Onboard High Definition Audio £0.00 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit £41.66 Windows Optimisation Service £29.99 Express Four Day Build Service £79.99 23" Asus VG236HE Widescreen 3D 120Hz TFT Monitor

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Some of the prices are pretty good others not so. I doubt whether I would have gone for the i7 2500k over the i5 2500K and would have been looking for a bigger SSD. But all in all not a bad rig.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer