We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Improvements to Custom Gaming Rig

Coxy121

Likes # 0

Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone would be able to help me. Looking to purchase a new PC predominately for gaming. Skyrim, BF3 E.t.c

I'm not looking to build one my self. Looking for as little hassle as possible to be honest and want to spend around £950. Last time i bought a computer it was about 5 years ago....a LOT has changed. This is as far as i have got. Is the price any good & more importantly, is the computer any good?! Thanks in advance.

Computer Case : NZXT Tempest

CPU : 1 x Intel Core i5 2500 (4 x 3.3GHz) 6MB

CPU Heatsink : 1 x Intel Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise

Memory : 1 x Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-10666 1333MHz (2x4GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR3)

Graphics Card : 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 - 1280 MB - (PALIT) (PCI-E) - Free Batman 2 Game

Motherboard : 1 x Asus P8H67-M LE(Intel H67) - VGA

Sound Card : 1 x Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 (PCI)

Networking : 1 x Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)

Power Supply : 1 x Cooler Master 750W PSU - Low Noise

Hard Drive #1 : 1 x 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 32MB

Optical Drive #1 : 1 x Samsung 24x DVD Re-Writer/Reader /- RW- Black - Lightscribe (SATA)

Operating System #1 : 1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)

System Tuning : Operating System Tuning

Grand Total Inc Vat: £967.6

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I would probably change the 1TB hard-drive to 2 x 500GB hard-drives so one can back up the other.If you only have 1 drive and it fails then you might lose everything.

Your PSU is really overkill, 500W is more than enough.

Not sure about your case, read here: Case I have had NZXT cases before and don't think I would again.

Like this post
Inept Pig

Likes # 0

I'd take a look at the on-board sound for the motherboard, it may be sufficient for your needs - in my last couple of builds I've not actually bothered with a separate sound card and don't think I've suffered because of it.

PSU may be a bit high (take a look at this calculator to help, however, you may be factoring in future upgrades (such as running SLI - although I'm not sure that motherboard can actually do SLI)

Not an expert though, and can't really comment on cases - I have a BitFenix Shinobi; which is okay, but a little bit cramped.

Where are you getting this from? I recently bought a lot of what you've mentioned and managed to fit in a SSD drive for installing Windows directly on-to, and then a 1TB SATA for games, music, photos, etc.

Like this post
Coxy121

Likes # 0

Hello,

Im currently looking at Computer Planet for my purchase. Ive heard a lot of good things and the prices seem reasonable. Thank you for the suggestion gengiscant. Splitting the TB might be a good idea.

Im in a agreement in regards to the PSU. I was thinking ahead for SLI but now you say it Inept Pig, i do need to upgrade the Motherboard for SLI. Should think it will only be an extra £50 or so for that.

Where did you get your comp from Inept? Any suggestions of good offers at the moment?

Thanks a lot for both your replies. Really appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Like this post
Inept Pig

Likes # 0

Sorry - I realised after I posted that you wanted everything built for you (can't say I blame you either!), my price was a bit lower because I went self-build and managed to get parts in well-timed sale at Overclockers.co.uk

I don't know Computer Planet I'm afraid, so can't comment on them - but your overall spec looks good, just check on the SLI, and also if you can save money by cutting out the sound card.

Do check out a few other places that offer custom PCs built though, just to be sure that you're getting the best deal.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days