We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Suitable graphics card for aging PC - how do I know the limitations?

malynx
Resolved

Likes # 0

I would like to replace the graphics card in my 6-year old PC, however a lot of the interface standards and component technologies have changed it this time.

While I am fairly sure about backwards-compatibilty, I have no idea how a new card's performance might be reduced due to such discrepancies. For example, my motherboard has a PCIe 1.0 x16 slot, but if a newer graphics card has a PCIe 2.0 interface then how much will its peformance be compromised? Even though the specs look much better, could such a newer card be rendered less-capable than the existing card?

I have a fault with my PC and the exisiting graphics card is the likely cause but I am not 100% certain that a new graphics card will solve the issue. I am also on quite a tight budget. (I would like to spend around GBP 30, but could be stretched a bit higher if the extra was worthwhile). So I do not want to spend more money than I need to on a card that will be over-specced in my system and for my needs. But likewise, I do want a card that will be a considerable improvement on the current one, and will comfortably perform the tasks I require of it.

My PC specs are currently: Mobo: ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe (with 2 x PCI-Express x16 slots) - PSU: 550W - CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.2GHz dual-core (1MB L2 cache) - RAM: 2 x 1GB DDR 400MHz (PC3200) (although I am considering later upgrading to 4 x 1GB) - OS: Windows XP Professional (32-bit) - Monitor: HD, 1920 x 1080 resolution, 24" diagonal, with DVI and HDMI inputs.

Current graphics card: nVidia GeForce 6800 GT (350MHz clock, 256MB DDR @ 500MHz, 16 pixel pipelines)

My needs: Photo-editing (a lot!), some video-editing, casual playing of older games.

How much will my motherboard's PCIe slot affect a PCIe 2.0 card? My system uses DDR RAM, does it matter if the graphics card has GDDR2 / DDR3? Will I see any benefit from a graphics card with 1GB memory, instead of 512MB? I have seen people suggest that on budget cards the extra half-a-gigabyte would be redundant and thus a waste of money. Can I use a card with a 64-bit memory bus with my 32-bit OS?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Like this post
malynx

Likes # 0

Like this post  
mobing

Likes # 0

in fact i don't think it is good idea to change graphic card only ,but if you don't have no enough budget ,that will be the choice ,for your old pc , 1GB perhaps do !(my personal opinion)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite