We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thief game continues to crash?

podlod
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I have on numerous occasions tried to play the game Thief Deadly Shadowsbut it continues to freeze when I start playing the game after 5 minutes, and I then have to reeboot to start my pc as I cannot get out of the freeze! When I google for info they direct me to a forum which then gives me many reasons as to why it freezes, and although I have tried various suggestions, it still refuses to run. One suggestion I did not try was as follows below, only because the game was not visible on manager? Below is their suggestion as I said previous, and my pc specs. Thank you.

When activated, Intel's Hyperthreading makes it appear that you have two CPUs. Pentium 4 D and Athlon 64 X2 processors have 2 cores on one chip - they are dual processors. Make sure that Thief is set to only use 1 processor with High, or Realtime priority. Dark Engine games don't like dual processor systems unless they are configured in this way. 1. Start the game(go only as far as the menu). 2. Alt-Tab out of it. 3. Bring up the task manager(Ctrl-Alt-Del then T). 4. Click on the processes tab. 5. Find thief.exe(thief2.exe as well as thief2.icd for thief 2). 6. Right click on it/them and go to set affinity. 7. Uncheck one of the cpus. 8. Alt-Tab back into the game and play.

PC Specs.

Processor Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ Speed : 2.10GHz Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s) Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s) Type : Dual-Core System System : System manufacturer System Product Name Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI Premium Bus(es) : PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ACPI BIOS Revision 1008 Total Memory : 3GB DDR

Chipset Model : AMD Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 1.05GHz (2.10GHz) Total Memory : 3GB DDR Memory Bus Speed : 2x 175MHz (350MHz) Video System Adapter : ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (2GB, PCIe 2.00 x16, PS3.0, VS3.0)

Windows XP Home Edtion

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I am assuming that the game has been patched?If not get it here: Patch

Found here: Tweak Guide in it says: Fast CPU and Fast Graphics Card: People are complaining about how difficult it is to get playable framerates in T:DS, but upon closer examination their systems reveal a weak CPU or a slow graphics card which explains why this is so. As with most recent games, especially games based on the Unreal Engine (like UT2004 and America's Army), T:DS requires a balance of both a medium to fast CPU and a medium to fast graphics card for optimal performance. If you have a fast CPU but a slow graphics card for example (e.g. P4 3.2Ghz combined with an FX5200), or vice versa, then your machine will struggle. The CPU in particular comes under heavy load in T:DS because of the steep AI (Artificial Intelligence), Physics and rendering requirements, while the graphics card shares the load by undertaking advanced lighting, shadows and pixel shader effects. While you can reduce the load by reducing the in-game settings and undertaking some tweaking, you cannot turn off the advanced lighting effects, tone down the physics or reduce the AI hence the steep requirements.

You have not got a particularly fast CPU or graphics card, though you fail to mention the exact model only what series which is 4800. You might find it will run better after your proposed upgrades.

Like this post  
podlod

Likes # 0

Hi Glenn, my pc is being shut down now for a couple of days for reasons that you know of, but when it returns to normal I will phone you and give the info regarding the items he has replaced, and we can go more into detail regarding your response to my question. I thank you anyway for taken the time in answering, catch you later.

Like this post
bijaybd

Likes # 0

Hey you can find the solution from here - http://www.tipsglobe.com/2011/09/top-10-game-problems-and-solution.html there are top 10 gaming problem solutions so hope it will help you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September