We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Call of Duty 4 won't run properly

NewestRoyWidd1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is anyone here aware of bugs in the pc version of Call of Duty 4? I bought it recently from Amazon,upgraded my graphics card and PSU yesterday to ATI Radeon HD 3600 series and a 400 watt PSU. The game gets as far as the SAS training session in the"killing house"part,then freezes before closing down.When I start it again,I get the message that the game didn't quit properly,do I want to run it in safe mode.

I have tried to use the proper quit option,but that doesn't seem to work for some reason.Has anyone out there got any suggestions/ideas please on how to get the game to run? I'm on XP Pro sp3.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

How much RAM/memory do you have?

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

gengiscant;Currently 512mb,which now you mention it is no doubt the problem.I think I need to upgrade to at least 1GB?

The graphics card also has 1GB RAM on-board.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Oh,I forgot to ask,would it be the fact that it's an AGP card that's slowing things down?My pc is a refurbed model and doesn't have PCI-Express slots,and the bios doesn't support them.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You are talking quite an old PC, the ram is certainly not enough, you really need 2GB+ to your other question whereas as PCi-E is better your AGP card should be able to play the game reasonably well. But you definitely nee to update fire some more RAM in.

Do you know what your motherboard is? if not download and install this. SIW The free version is fine. (lower down the page) This will also tell you what type of ram you have. Post back with both bits of info and we'll have a proper look.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Back now,I have installed 1GB of DDR PC3200 RAM(As recommended on the Crucial scan)which now gives me 1GB plus 256MB.Windows is obviously a lot faster now in general,and the game seems to be working too,though I may need to re-install it since I tried to increase the screen resolution in the options menu and it crashed. I'm having"one of those days" with computers. Motherboard details from SIW;Micro-Star International,model MS 6734. As you rightly point out,it is an old PC,but all I can afford at present.

Many thanks for your continuing help.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I have just had a look at the specs and your board only supports a max of 2 GB so, not really much you can do, you will most certainly have to lower the settings for the game as your PC will struggle to play this game.

Like this post
AllThumbs

Likes # 0

I play cod 4 a fair bit and it often fails to close properly (under Win7).

I'd suggest you drop the various settings down low and see if you can run it like that. Then you could gradually up the settings.

Under XP it used to be possible to check what element caused a crash such as a sound module and a game etc (if you're running under XP check out the Event Viewer found in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer).

It might at least give you some pointers.

Like this post
NewestRoyWidd1

Likes # 0

Thank you both,I now have the xbox 360 version of the game,and of course it runs perfectly.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...