We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphics card suggestions

Rorkhill
Resolved

Likes # 0

My computer's graphics card died a short while ago so I decided to upgrade. I just needed some help on what you would suggest for my set up. I would like to run new games on high settings and have a budget of about £100-200, however if I can steer away from the £200 mark that would help me a lot. My last card was a 1GB GeForce 9800GT. I saw this 2GB card but I'm unsure about it because of its low price and high memory. Seems like it must fall short in some other way at this price. Also I use 1440x900 resolution but my monitor is capable of 1080i. Thanks in advance.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Always useful to mention your motherboard, the card you have selected is an excellent card, but there is little point in a top spec GPU if the rest of your pc is crap.

You are making a big leap from the 9800GT to the 560, you will need to factor in your power supply which should be at least 550w.

If you want to post the rest of your PC specs or make/model I'll hopefully give you a better answer.

Like this post
Rorkhill

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. I have 3GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.40GHZ processor, 750W PSU and Gigabyte G41M Combo Mobo.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Your chip is probably the Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 and you have plenty of power,though if it is a cheap PSU that might not be the case,all in all the card you have chosen should be fine with the rest of your components.

Like this post  
Rorkhill

Likes # 0

Yep it's the Q6600. The PSU isn't the best but worked well in the past. I think I will upgrade that too though just to be sure. Thanks for your help!

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

This looks a good card and same price as your selection but the card is overclocked with a better cooler

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...