We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'No Kids' Multiplayer modes

Inept Pig

Likes # 0

In an interview with Official XBox Magazine Treyarch's community manager Josh Olin ruled out a mode of multiplayer gaming that stopped kids from playing - although obviously this is more pertinent for a game that carries an 18 rating, I wonder how many of those who play online would like the option to pick the age range of gamers that they end up competing against?

Although hard to enforce on the PC; the 360 Gamertag could help age-limit sessions - I'm not saying that kids are all bad, just that Xbox Live is full of younger players whose colourful use of language is somewhat disheartening.

Not that some of the adults are much better.

Alternative Question: Has the social decorum of the modern day online gamer now slipped from the relatively low standards that it began with? I see/hear a lot more abuse than I used to (although the option to mute is wonderful, wouldn't it be nice if I didn't have to?); and was thinking that the anonymity of the internet has a lot to answer for.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi I'd just like to add my feelings on this subject. I agree with everything you have said. But may I suggest that you air these feelings in 'Speakers Corner'. you might find that many more people may concur with your views and there are those who may equally disagree. In the case of the latter it could spark some heart felt banter that could run and run!

Just a thought.

Like this post
Inept Pig

Likes # 0

I keep my faith that the Games forum will become a thriving hub of communication in time...

I would have posted this in the more general Speakers Corner, but felt that the issues related more to gamers than just general internet users - we've all encountered random abuse on forums around the internet (I do hope that this isn't just me), but to be playing a competitive game against people who trot out derogatory terms just as a general means of communication is something that few outside the online gamers amongst us will have had to tolerate.

From the anonymous players there's a general lack of Sportsmanship; when I stared playing MOH:AA on a 56k dial-up connection, the end of each round was normally filled with banter and comments of 'good game', etc. - it all seems to have become much more volatile, although I am willing to accept that different games have different communities of players, and those of us with enough time to join a clan and compete against other committed individuals are less likely to encounter what amounts to random abuse from teenagers

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

You may be right, regarding the 'Games' forum picking up with time. I would like to hope it does also. However it's been my experience to date, that when posting to this forum it isn't wise to hold your breath while waiting for a reply. It was my assumption that the younger gamers were at either at school or work and the older ones, were too busy playing to respond to the forum!

Yes I too have received verbal pats on the back, in the past when playing such games as 'Backgammon'. But as with everything these days eventually it started to go downhill. So much so that it's been a few years since I last played.

I've only recently joined xBox Live and my initiation to xBox Live gaming was with RDR. I was quite surprised and shocked with the response from younger players. Although with time I guess, if you want to play on line you have to develope a thicker skin.

Like this post
AllThumbs

Likes # 0

It's true that playing in a clan, particularly if you're using teamspeak, you are somewhat buffered against the more aggressively vocal (typist) gamers, and this is a real blessing. It's also good if you run your own server (as my clan does) and if people start using unpleasant or abusive language then they will find themselves kicked and banned.

In a way it might seem almost surreal to apply this approach bearing in mind we play so many violent games these days, but it isn't real life no matter how good the graphics are and people need to realise that when you play on a server that you don't own you are playing as a guest. Now I'm very much not a prude and in fact I'm very happy to use context appropriate language (and teamspeak can become quite....noisy), in fact I find censorship of language in films to be deeply offensive, but in a social situation - which is what gaming online is - there is a need to apply yourself to staying within whatever rules of whatever server you are on.

Maybe part of the problem is that aggressive language is context dependant and whereas I might call a clan mate something in teamspeak, or use, say, fruity language, I'd never dream of shouting it out in the street. It's about applying self control - which may be why the kids you find yourself often playing with have such a blind spot. Self control comes with age (and now I'm sounding like my dad)

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

There's nothing wrong with sounding like your father. Especially if your dad has/had morals as he seems to. You couldn't wish for a better role model.

Thereby lies the rub, half of todays teenagers probably haven't got a dad like you had. Yes, they maybe old enough to know better. but the truth probably is that they don't care what anyone else thinks. At school they are allowed to get away with virtually anything, because of the way disipline has been watered down.

Your clan works for you, you run a tight ship, if members don't toe the line then they get banned. I see no reason why companies behind online game sites can't emulate the likes of you and your clan.

When I was playing 'Red Dead Redemprtion' on xBox Live recently, they had different section that you could play your style of game in. But even so there were the spoilers who were trying to ruin it for others. I can't see why xBox etc can't boot the spoilers. I think everyone has the right to play the game the way they want, with like minded people.

I don't swear and I don't like to hear it from anyone. I've never known a time when I felt that swearing was a neccessity. If I am talking to someone and they start to use phrases/words that I feel could easilly be considered offensive. I include racism and sexism, I would not hessitate but to let that person know how I feel. If they ignore me and continue in like manner, then depending on the circumstance I would probably walk away and have nothing more to do with them.

Like this post
Inept Pig

Likes # 0

Having experienced both; I think the Xbox actually has a more abusive base of players than the PC (and because there's no text, just voice - it makes it more 'in your face') - the plug-and-play simplicity of XBox allows everyone to communicate easily; it's just rather sad that some people see this as an excuse to randomly dole out abuse to strangers - banter amongst friends is different in my opinion.

Graphicool1 - there's a couple of options you can consider on the 360; one of which is that you can mute individual players, and the other that allows you to rate players you've played with previously; this means that you'll often not be paired with them again should you give them a thumbs down - it works in principal, but the sheer amount of players that you'll end up giving a thumbs down to is depressingly large.

Also, most online games also offer the option to vote to kick someone from the server for inappropriate behaviour; however, this will depend on their being enough like-minded people on the server at any given moment.

Like this post
AllThumbs

Likes # 0

I have seen the kick/ban option used as a bullying tool in itself on some clan servers. It depends how harsh this is whether we're talking simple kick or permanant ban.

We used to have a guy play with us in the clan who's inventive creation in swearing was near poetic prose in its complexity. A fellow who could create a pause in play whilst everyone worked out what he'd just said, and then tried to remember it (all the time wondering who they could possibly repeat it to). Gosh but ts is duller without him.

I like the idea of a graded game world wherein you play with those people who are more your kind of age group. The problem is I dislike the policing that this would require and the utter control over the play area that would need to be in place. (Am I not right that they already do this kind of thing in some MMORPG's? Also, I play with a bunch of adults ranging from their 30's to their 60's, so I'd have missed this crew under such a pigeon hole system. Perhaps its more that you seek to have an honour code that people live by (it's called manners - look it up, it's been gone for a few years now), and that concept of good natured play.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Age ~ Manners ~ Honesty ~ Breeding ~ Class ~ Sportsmanship etc, none of these have any bearing on swearing. Wether in a game or anywhere else.

To be honest, if someone feels they have to swear; then I would feel happier with the person who swears all the time and in front of everyone; rather than the person that turns it on and off. Because if you can turn it on and off, you don't have to turn it on at all, you're just doing it for effect. Many guys swear continuously in the company of other guys, but not in the company of girls. But these days, many girls, young women or ladettes ~ as they are called in some circles ~ can and do swear just as much as the guys.

Inept Pig

I have actually joined others to elect to boot off someone from Red dead. But that system can and does quite often backfire. As I have found out personally, when the bad guys vote off the good guys.

As far as swearing goes it should be quite easy for the web masters to write a piece of script into gameplay. So that everytime a player swears more than a set number of times over a specific period they autormatically get booted from that session.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

PS

But at the end of the day, I'd only be fooling myself if I thought that any of the games websites would attempt to do anything to stop the players from swearing. After all more and more games themselves contain bad language. So how can you tell the players they mustn't swear? As 'AllThumbs' said...(paraphrasing)..."it's just getting into character". I doubt if the makers would make two versions, one with and one without swearing. Where would it end...a war game without killing and maiming?

Of course not, if you don't want to face the realities of life as we know it today. Don't go to the cinema, don't watch TV, don't play video games and don't leave your house. If you have to go out wear ear defenders and shades so you can't read lips. Advertise for like minded people, buy an island a start again.

Like this post
Inept Pig

Likes # 0

My issue really isn't against swearing and an outright ban on this; I appreciate that the nature of games can cause the odd expletive - if all you've encountered in online gaming so far is excessive swearing that there's a whole other side of seemingly randomly generated abuse that people come forth with.

The voting system was just to kick the player from the gaming session, but as Graphicool1 says, it can backfire as it's decided by the majority.

As for deciding who you play with, etc - perhaps the making of a permanent online 'tag' would help with this; as the case is with the 360 - you have a gamertag and you can rate those that you enjoyed playing with and those that you didn't, so the more you play, and the more you do this, hopefully the closer the profile matching would be.

However, I don't think the software is a sophisticated as that yet; I think it just looks for servers with players that you've approved of and tries to join them, whilst avoiding those that you've given negative feedback to.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...