We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

X-box 360 internet connection problem

bionicle

Likes # 0

My son just got an x-box 360 today for his birthday. I'm having problems connecting it via Wi-Fi. I'm with Sky using their supplied router and get a slow speed of around 2000kbps which means the x-box often fails to connect with the router and when it does connect the update download fails. My question is would buying a network adapter such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NPCDH8/ref=s9simhgwp63d0i2?pfrdm=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pfrds=center-2&pfrdr=1X1RPZD9P2XA6BPEP4RZ&pfrdt=101&pfrdp=467128533&pfrd_i=468294 solve the problem by providing a stronger broadband link? I don't really want to spend £40 on something that wont resolve the issue.

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 1

i am assuming u already have a wireless adaptor for the xbox

a wireless N adaptor would only be of benefit if your router is wireless N compliant

i think the first things to look at are can you move the xbox or the router to create a better connection or can you hardwire IE run a cable to the xbox. A Wireless connection has so many variables and things that can and do interfere with it.

1st step would be as above if you can move xbox or router do so and experiment as to where the better connection comes from . If you can hardwire it doesnt come better than that

hope this is of some help

Like this post
bionicle

Likes # 0

Thanks Devil Fish. I'm just connecting the x-box as it was straight out of the box with no attachments. It does connect on occasion but I think the low broadband speed of around 2000kbps is the problem. I'm getting this speed on my PC which is wired in and I know from previous tests. I'm not able to move the x-box and wire it in.

So basically I know the settings are OK because it connects and starts an update but this then fails. So would plugging in a network adapter strengthen the connection?

Like this post
Inept Pig

Likes # 0

Do you have anything else that uses the wireless network? Or could it perhaps be an issue with the set-up? It's probably best to make sure that you're not needlessly spending cash before we start making recommendations for things for you to buy!

Also, have you checked the Sky guides for setting up your wireless network? There does seem to be a few posts on the internet about people having trouble with some of Sky's routers and the XBox.

As you're using it out of the box WiFi, I imagine it must be one of those fancy new slim 360s.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

It has nothing to do with your bandwidth or lack of it. Infact it,s a problem that lots of 360 users are having, and can be caused by the xbox obtaining the same ip address as your PC. If you find that it does have the same ip address as yor pc, you will need to give the xbox it's own static ip address. Hope this helps.

Like this post
bionicle

Likes # 0

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I finally managed to get it done this afternoon. But am still struggling with buffering e.g. on sky player even at lowest setting. Does anyone know of a good service where an engineer can check out the wiring in the house as Sky say I should be getting faster speeds?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features