We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cold boot problem

Brian Garlick

Likes # 0

Before I start please excuse the fact that Im a newbie.

Last year I decided to make the switch to pc gaming after many years of console gaming, simply because I really engoy the flexibility, pc, Mods, tweaks etc. Im big on Rpg games and so as you can imagine I have quite a library to look forward to playing.

I decided to buy a fairly decent pc.

(Specs)

i7 core 930
Rampage 2 extreme
HD 5970
8 Gigs of ram
750wt power supply

Not knowing much about how to set a gaming PC up I had a local pc shop do it for me.

Only ever since I got it I have had a cold boot Problem, from cold it take me about 2-5 resets before i finally get it to work usually stops when booting windows up, and when idle. Also the blue ray drive takes ages to recognize disks if at all. But once it does boot up and I start playing games it runs fine.

Have taken it back many times and the shop owner says its the programs i download, that sick of it i even reinstalled a clean installation to no avail.

Tried drivers Bios nearly everything.

Now back in the shop giving it another test to see weather the power supply if powerful enuogh.

Not sure what to do next if he comes back to me with another silly excuse. Any advice would be really appreciated, only I spent including accessories over 2 thousand euros.

Cheers.

Like this post
Brian Garlick

Likes # 0

Oh and sorry I do know how to spell Enjoy.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

AS A builder myself, I would suggest that you are experiencing compatibility problems with your components. Although on the face of it all components suited for your motherboard should work together. quite often they will not.

I recently had a problem with the RAM I had installed and eventually bought and installed a new set of modules and has worked perfectly since.

You do not mention what programs the shop seems to think are causing the problem but if you have reinstalled Windows you can safely rule that out.

What exactly is the RAM you are using? Make/model?

Also make sure all cables are seated correctly, a small thing but has caught me out in the past. In fact make sure that all components are seated correctly.

You could also try booting with 1 ram module, see how the PC behaves then gradually increase by one module at a time, each time booting and noting the behavior.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

PS: you have more than enough power from your PSU.
But what make/model is it?

Like this post
Brian Garlick

Likes # 0

Thanks guys for responding, as soon as i get the pc back, will list the memory etc.

Like this post
Brian Garlick

Likes # 0

My PC guy has just told me theres a problem with the graphics card, not sure why that would effect the blue ray drive though?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Its your graphics card that will produce the image,without a decent one you would be able to play the Blue-ray discs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch Samsung Galaxy Note 4 launch live: Unpacked 2014 Episode 2 at IFA

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...