We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

1GB or 2GB Graphics Card

Colin

Likes # 0

I'm just starting to look at replacing my graphics card and I'm considering these two:

click here

click here

However, the 6950 is also available with 2GB of RAM for an extra £5.

click here

I play on a 24" screen at 1980x1200 and find that my current ATI 4890 1GB is starting to stutter with newer games. As the 560Ti and 6950 are newer architecture cards than my 4890, is 1GB of RAM still OK or would it better better paying slightly extra for the 2GB 6950?

Thanks

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

A bit of reading here:click here

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

Thanks, gengiscant. Most of the articles are inconclusive but I think I'll go for the 6950 2GB as the extra £5 for another gig of RAM seems to provide a bit of inexpensive future proofing, (if there is such a thing with a PC). I’ve only ever had Radeon cards and never had a problem with them.

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

i run the 2gb 6950, it only really useful if you have a higher resolution than 1920x1200, i have a 2560x1440 monitor so it definitely comes in handy

another plus is flashing the 6950s bios to unlock shaders.. this in effect gives you the same hardware and performance of the 6970 for free!

ive done it on mine! .. 6970 for £205 that way :)

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

haha overclockers even advertise its flashable to 6970.. also just in case the flash goes wrong, the card has two bios positions, just flip a switch and you can use the reserve, but less than 1% are reported to fail

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

Thanks, AL47. I'll bear that in mind. I've flashed the BIOS on various PC's without a hitch and it looks very easy to reverse on the graphics card if it goes wrong.

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

Hmmm, just posted a new thread re the 6950 2GB in Helproom. sorry then came here...

To re-cap, I just get a loud squel when I switch on the 'puter after slotting in the card. I guess you guys didn't have any problem?

Anyone have a clue why I can't manage the installation?

I have re-installed my previous HD 4850 with no probs...

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

IClaudio - have you connected the power supply to both 2x 6pin PCI-E power connectors?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded