We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New PC speccing, advice please :)

jp29

Likes # 0

So, i'm looking to buy a new pc very soon and am speccing it on the dinopc website now... the specs:
phemon x6 1090t black
8gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram
1tb sataII hdd
22x dvdrw
nvidia gtx470
7.1 sound
xigmatec asgard case
700w ezcool psu
win7 home premium 64bit
are all relatively decided on, the only thing is the mobo. theres the option of a £40ish upgrade for a mobo with a 2nd pcie x16 slot. my idea would be to spec it with thatso that if i want to keep it fast in the future then i'd just drop in another gpu. the only thing is, the psu wont cover the addition of another gtx470. so my question is.. spec it & then upgrade the psu and then add a gpu in the future, or leave it with the standard mobo and stick to one gpu permanently?

All advice welcome, thanks
jp29

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Can you not provide a link to your spec on Dinopc?

Like this post
jp29

Likes # 0

click here

Thats the one but with the 1090 not the 1055 cpu. sorry for not posting it originally, I wasn't sure if product linking is allowed on the forum so played it safe and left it out..

Thanks
jp29

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Thanks for that but if you had clicked on the save quote I think it would have listed all your components in a tidier list,rather than what you have linked to.
As you are obviously new to this forum can I suggest that when you are looking for advice like this you give as much detail as you can.
In this case what is your budget,what will be the main uses of the PC, really anything at all.
The more info we have the more likely you will get a suitable reply.
Do not worry about posting links, this forum has a very relaxed attitude and providing you are not obviously advertising most links are allowed. I myself have posted links to other magazine forums which were perhaps more specialized and the poster would more likely get the information they needed.

As to your Mobo, you have to decide if you are going to go SLI in the future or not. If so then your Mobo must have the facility to take a second card.Also I would think that it would be more sensible to put in the required PSU now, rather than later.
Looking at your chip I think I would have chosen the 965 myself and added a better cooler.
If you can answer the questions above,I have another look.
By the way why did you pick Dinopc?

Like this post
jp29

Likes # 0

my budget is up to £800 complete maximum (ideal is about £750). i was gonna use it for gaming (newish-release games, so def dx11) probably a few times a week if a bit more aswell as some word processing every now and then. I think that leaving the option to go for an sli setup would be a good thing, but then the need for a new psu at that time may make that a bad idea...

as for the cpu, i hadnt thought of that option & it could be a nice idea. i also hadnt thought of the need for a cooler (eek...) would the coolermaster tx3 option be okay in your opinion or would the frio be a better way to go?

lastly, i chose dinopc purely because they have the best prices (by quite alot over the others) and im after the best bang per buck i can get :D

thanks for all your help, its much appreciated
jp29

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The two motherboards in your selection will not allow you to drop another GPU card as the are not SLI compatible.
I have something together which is nearer the £800 mark with delivery. Unfortunately it is not saving properly so will need to post it the same way as you.
Note I have split the 1TB drive into 2 500GB drives which means you will be able to keep a complete copy of your main drive.
See what you think. click here

Like this post
jp29

Likes # 0

confused :S what you typed doesn't match the spec sheet after the link, is it the right link? :S

thanks
jp29

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sorry,not sure what happened.Try this.

Customizations:
CPU: 2056 - NEW! Intel Core i5 760
CPU Cooler: 3007 - Coolermaster Hyper TX3
Operating System: 11014 - Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: 4055 - Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Memory: 5013 - 4.0GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz DHX CL9 (2x 2GB)
Hard Drives: 6004 - 500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Second hard drive: 6004 - 500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 7003 - 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: 8053 - NEW! NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
Sound card: 10001 - Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: 17024 - Xigmatek Asgard
PSU: 18029 - NEW! 775W Thermaltake Modular

Price before delivery.£792.48

Like this post
jp29

Likes # 0

sounds good, the twin hdds are a nice addition aswell. i think ill go with something very similar to that :D

thanks for all your help, its been really useful
jp29

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

When you have decided,post your specs here and I'll have a look see if it needs tweaking at all. I build my own and at the moment I have twin HD 5770's but next week when I get my new case click here I'll be upgrading to HD6870 with a 60Gb SSD drive, so find specing a PC on a site thats custom builds a new experience. Interesting though.
Good luck with it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more