We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The original Sony Play station

Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Hi

Have acquired one of the original grey models (just going to let my son use it till he get's his new xbox at Christmas).

Have controllers, power lead, video cable and games but try as I may I can't get it to work. Mechanically it's sound but it's just got an RF cable rather than scart and when I plug that into the TV I get no output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

Like this post
DJ Techz

Likes # 0

Have you retune your TV on analogue to find the frequency that PS1 is sending its signal on (if that makes sense)

Ryan

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Thanks for this.

My TV is digital (along with the majority). How would I retune to analogue in these circumstances?

Thanks again

Simon

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You will need to change the TV input to video.
click here

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Many thanks but the connection cable just has a male aerial type cable at the end and not RCA style plugs. Plugging this into the TV aerial didn't work.

Can I get a cheap connector to either convert the aerial to an RCA plug or even a scart?

Simon

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Something like this click here
or this click here
this click here

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Thanks very much

Will investigate

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Hi again

Bought an adaptor in Maplins which converts the has four RCA plugs at one end (red, white, yellow and one other). My Panasonic Viera has a raft of sockets at the back but not this configuration! Therefore I stuck the plugs into a scrat adaptor and used that. This worked for a short while but now we just get a weird screen after the Sony message and it just freezes.

Is it possible that these old kits are just not compatible with scarts?

Is it common for the newer TV sockets not to include red, white and yellow? (can provide a photo but seems to be multiple green blue and white etc..)

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Can you provide a link to what you bought from Maplins.
My scart converter only had the red white and yellow sockets,I had few problems getting my play-station 1 going last year when I went a little retro for a short time, but eventually got it working.
You have had it working so you are doing something right.
I have just looked at the back of both my flat screen TV's and they also have the connections you speak of and of course the red/yellow/white sockets.

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Hi

Thanks for your response. This is the cable I bought (click here). My TV does not have designated white yellow and red RCA sockets so I was forced to use the scart adaptor. What happens is that the Sony screen comes up but then you get a grey screen with a diagram of the Playstation and something that looks like a piano!! It's almost a message inviting you to press something but nothing you press on the controller works.

You just don't get the to the next Playstation screen and then the game. I thought it might be the scart that's worn but wonder know whether the cable is not compatible with scart.

It would also be interesting to know what the fourth connection was for??

Thanks again

Like this post
Simon Sudbury

Likes # 0

Wrong link. Try again.
click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home