We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Second Life

Rosemary Haworth

Likes # 0

In response to our story on interesting sights in Second Life, we've been asked why PC Advisor doesn't exist in the virtual world.

We're not sure there's much call for PCA to exist virtually or what you'd expect from us should we get a second life.

What do you think, though?

Suggestions on this front are very welcome.

Rosemary

Rosemary Hattersley, Deputy Editor, PC Advisor

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I'm not sure if it is what you are thinking of here but, I would be very happy to download a virtual magazine, rather than buy a paper copy.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

view a virtual magazine in a browser.

Like this post
Rosemary Haworth

Likes # 0

I should have included the link to the story I referenced: click here

However, it's interesting to know you'd like to see PC Advisor delivered as an electronic magazine.

Thanks for the input,

Rosemary

Like this post
Si_L

Likes # 0

I haven't subscribed to PCA for a couple of years now, but if it were available electronically, like a PDF, (at a cheaper price obviously, factoring out printing and distribution and sales costs) then I would definitely subscribe.

As for Second Life, I don't know because I don't use it. One real life is enough for me.

Like this post
wolfie3000

Likes # 0

An interesting, idea,

PCA getting a second life and setting up a presence in there would be if nothing else a good way to advertise the site and magazine,

Alot of companies have seen the opportunities of second life and have built a big presences in the game,

Offering virtual competitions in the game and even virtual prizes would be a good idea too.

I personally think this is the way to go as many other companies are seeing great benefits from it.

Like this post
Managing ed

Likes # 0

That there is an electronic version of PC Advisor. You're looking at it!

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

is a complete magazine, duplicating the entire content of the paper version.

Like this post
Sorrowful

Likes # 0

It's an interesting idea in a marketing sense and presumably (one hopes!) you have the staff to do it.
The set up costs would be minimal and presumably the terms and conditions of the site allow corporations to use it for advertising but do they charge a fee for it?
Typically newspapers and magazines get just two per cent of their revenue from their internet site but use cross-selling and buzz phrases like "future proofing the product" and talk about generating future revenue streams. They also use it to justify falling circulations, pointing out that while circulation is down ten per cent their web hits rose 12 per cent.
The fact is web growth in an emerging market is to be expected but with such low revenue streams associated with it, it is difficult to justify it in any traditional economic sense.
Its like Pepsi losing ten per cent of its sales but giving away water for free and saying the company is doing well, as water consumption is up. The problem then comes when they try to charge for water and the drinkers are resentful when a charge for it is introduced and they invariably choose water which is cheaper made by a new, different company, because it can be sold without having to try and recoup some of the losses from the Pepsi market.
What on earth am I going on about.... The simple answer is if its free, why not.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes