We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot Fully Uninstall FarCry

BigRik

Likes # 0

Hi all.

I've put FarCry onto my laptop, as I get virtually top whack performance from the game on that, so I'd like to take it off the family desktop.

Trouble is, it doesn't seem to want to go! It's still showing in the Add/Remove Programs in the control panel (but without any size next to it), and when I put the disk in, I still get the option to play and uninstall; though when I did click play, nothing happened.

Also, I patched FarCry right up on the desktop, so how do I uninstall the patches? I ran the first patch again, but was not given the option to uninstall it.

Your help is much appreciated.

Like this post
BigRik

Likes # 0

Sorry, I forgot to add, I'm trying to remove the game from an XP machine.

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

normally if the game has an uninstall you use that instead of add/remove programes. you can delete the far cry folder in programe files it's in the ubsoft folder, open it to see the far cry folder. you can use regedit to delete the far cry folders there. hkey current user, software, hkey local machine, software, it's in the ubsoft folders again. but be careful.

Like this post
BigRik

Likes # 0

but despite trying as you've suggested, FarCry is still in Add/Remove Programs and upon inserting the disk, I can apparently still play or uninstall the game, but I can't!

Doing a Windows "search all files and folders" and looking in regedit (using your advised method) for anything relating to Crytek, FarCry or Ubisoft now yields nothing.

I cannot find any more traces anywhere!

Can you, or anyone else, offer any more suggestions?

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

I think there is software that cleans the add remove programes left overs.

Like this post
Starfox

Likes # 0

What you need is Add-Remove Pro, download and run at click here

Only a small program but I have found it very useful and it's free.

Like this post
BigRik

Likes # 0

That's solved the problem of the Add/Remove Programs entry, and now there is not a single entry left that I can find relating to the game.

However, when I put the FarCry disk in, I'm still given the option of playing or uninstalling the game, with install greyed out. Why the heck is this happening?! What would I do if I wanted to reinstall? For some reason, the computer still seems to think the software is there somewhere!

Like this post
citadel

Likes # 0

it must be something pertaining to securom buried somewhere on the pc.

Like this post
BigRik

Likes # 0

Would you suggest I remove Securom? I've found a tool on the web which can do so, or do you think that it only MIGHT be a reason rather than IS the reason?

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've never had such a problem uninstalling software before. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't put it on my laptop now!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try runnung revo uninstaller and type far cry in the search box. Might find a few things.

Like this post
BigRik

Likes # 0

No luck with that rdave13, did not find a single entry, but thanks for the suggestion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia