We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why only the games forum?

Rigga

Likes # 0

Why is it only the games forum that has advertising all over the top of the threads? i.e. the same content as "Topic Zones, Games" It makes the forum very difficult to use and view. :(

I mean if you want to make the forums more unattractive and harder to use, then why not do it for all forums not just the games forum. i.e. Topic Zone, Digital world in front of the digital world forum etc.

Just my two peneth, an unhappy R.

Like this post
lisa02

Likes # 0

I didn't know to scroll down and so yesterday didn't look in here at all. I thought it might have been in the process of going away again.

Like this post
AL47

Likes # 0

i have removed those ads, i dont mind the ones at the right side but the centred ones are just too annoying

Like this post
Si_L

Likes # 0

I thought when I opened the Games forum that I had landed in the Games topic zone. Even Ad=block doesn't pick them up.

They are annoying, but annoying adverts threads have popped up occasionally in Speakers Corner and we are always told the same thing - the adverts pay for the site. I'm ok with them being there if it means not having to pay to use it.

Like this post
Managing ed

Likes # 0

Adverts are there so we can keep the forum, and indeed the rest of the site, free for all.

As I'm sure you can imagine, maintaining a website with 300,000 members, more than a million users and up to four million page impressions each month doesn't come cheap. We do try to make sure ads are as unobtrusive as possible.

I'm honour-bound to point out that the content above games threads isn't actually advertising, but links to our most popular games downloads - all of which are free to play for an hour.

Thanks.

Matt Egan
Managing Editor

Like this post
Rigga

Likes # 0

I understand and appreciate that advertising pays for the site, and do try to click through some of the more unobtrusive ads you put on the site.

However, by placing the "non-Advertising" advertising in front of the games forum is very obtrusive, and makes using the forum very unfriendly, and much slower.

I have already taken a look at the Topic Zone games, and even tried a couple of them. However to have it shoved in front of me every time I view this forum and even in front of every thread is very disconcerting.

The very thing that makes this forum so refreshing is the clean simple layout of each forum and of each thread. By placing the Topic Zone - Games in front completely destroys this.

Plus you have not answered the original thread title. "Why only the games forum"? is it because you will lose readers if you put such obtrusive things in front of the more popular forums?

I guess I'll have to follow AL47 route, and block ScreenSeven.co.uk.

A disappointed R.

Like this post
Managing ed

Likes # 0

I'm sorry you're disappointed. In answer to your original point, we put the games there because it is content relevant to people interested in games. It absolutely isn't advertising! There's no sinister motive - we want the Games Forum to thrive as we want all the forums to thrive. It's why we're here.

Thanks for your comments, we really do take note, and we'll keep an eye on the Games Forum to see how things develop.

Matt

Like this post
Marko797

Likes # 0

thought the hyperlink had got muddled with Games topic zone, but after trying it twice, gave up thinking it was a PCA error. I then scrolled down on the 3rd attempt, to find the actual Games forum.

Must say it's very annoying, when the uppermost pictures are the same as Games Topic Zone. Why do we need it twice??

It's especially annoying if ur looking at several Games threads that you have to do so much scrolling. I'm using a laptop at the moment so the effect is possibly worse than on a large desktop monitor.

If we wanted links to the 1-hour games, we now know where to go and get them if we so wish. Don't need it in our faces on the forum however.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

we can't sit still with the same forum configuration, year in and year out. We need to try out changes in format and content, and obviously not all new ideas are an immediate hit.

Give us a chance if you can, we take your feedback seriously, and I assure you we watch the site statistics like hawks. If something has an adverse effect on forum popularity we'll know about it, and we'll react accordingly.

Like this post
wolfie3000

Likes # 0

I can appreciate the games being on top of the games section of the forum but i wonder why its only "cutsey" games that are listed.

I understand that as a family orientated forum you cannot have games like Grand theft auto or F.E.A.R.

But I find that most gamers including teen gamers prefer more action based games, especially the totally free ones.

There are alot of games that are both family friendly and will appeal more to gamers.

Heres a few suggestions.

Shaiya
click here
Sauerbraten
click here
Warsow
click here
Flyff
click here
Trackmania nations
click here

And the game im obsessed with at the moment,

Perfect world
click here

Im a level 37 Werebeast :)
click here

Like this post
Si_L

Likes # 0

The new version of Ad-Block sorts this out now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today