We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

More for your money with M$ & $ony

GRIDD

Likes # 0

Microsoft has pimped up the 360 Pro model with a 60GB drive, and a rumoured HDMI port, for the same old £199.

Sony are releasing an 80GB model of the PS3 at the end of this week for same old price of £299.

I don't think this will be the end of the price war in the run up to Christmas.

Some bundles going cheap on the XBOX 360 20GB click here

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Out of curiosity.. I have never owned a console of any kind, although I did come close to buying one when I became ill in April, and was bedridden for a while.

I have tried them a few times, but could never get to grips with the controller, and seemed to be pressing buttons at random without really knowing what was going on.

I game on my PC's, and use a joystick when flying using Flight SimX, but have never tried any of the more popular cross-platform games.

Max Payne, Fear, etc.

Are they really as good on a console?

This machine 2x 8800GTX 4gb ram Quad core cpu eats everything I thow at it on a 24" dvi monitor, but friends inform me that I should be gaming on my 42" TV with a console....Is it really that good?

Like this post
GRIDD

Likes # 0

Yes and I'm currently waiting on my 42inch 1080p LCD coming, hopefully the end of next week.

Bluray and upscaled DVDs on the PS3 are excellent too. The controls are awkward but once ya give it ago for a few days you'll get the hang of it...

What sort of games are you into? (besides flight)

Like this post
GRIDD

Likes # 0

20GB bundles on discount from game would be a good starter and the 360's controller is much better than PS3's.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

As a convertee from ps1,2 and now occasionally the ps3 console to pc gaming,they both have their merits.
I got my pc mainly for convenience gaming,i.e not annoying the wife.(thumb mark on head)
I had the same doubts,such as will i be able to use a mouse and keyboard.Would i be any good at it etc.At the end of the day,we all adapt very easily, as these things are designed to be used for their purpose.
I stiil prefer a gamepad on my pc for Tombraider type games, platformers and racing games as it feels so easy and natural.Now and then i go on my sons ps3 and have no trouble using the controller at all, although it's slightly harder with a fps with a controller.Well it is for me as i'm not used to it but my son has no trouble with anything.The more you use something the more natural it becomes.
A ps3 and a large lcd hd tv is a great combination which all adds to the experience.If pushed i would prefer the ps3 over my pc as i do like to sit back away from the screen with a controller.It just feels right.
Max payne type games i feel really come into their own on a ps3,it's just a totally different experience.
Go for it.You won't be disapointed.
If you are,you can blame me and i will reimburse you.(O:!

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

I like FPS games....FEAR, MAx Payne, Crysis, Doom, Quake The Call of duty series.

Wouldn't buy them again just to get console versions, but might consider a console when the next episodes are released.

I can game on the TV now by hooking up the PC, just wondered if the quality of the graphics would be that much better on a console?

Like this post
GRIDD

Likes # 0

I dunno, depends on game I think. COD4 looked better (ran at max) on PC for example than on PS3 n HDTV.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks