We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Doom 3 Revisited

crosstrainer

Likes # 0

I haven't played doom 3 for a year or so, and had finished it about 5 or 6 times. Since no new games are around at the moment, I decided to have another go.

I installed it on my Phenom Vista gaming rig, and cranked everything to maximum. What a difference it makes....The colour and detail were great, and I'd forgotten just how big a game it is. Enjoyed it all over again.

Back to flight simx now though!

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

5 or 6 times? Twice is all i can be bothered with, even with my favourite games.Still,i'm glad it's not only me that loved Doom 3,as most people on this forum have slated it.
That's the beauty of playing fairly old games though,being able to crank it up to how they are meant to be played.I might reinstall it myself now,Hmmm!
In a similar vein.
Quake 4.Never played it,but as it's very cheap now and has good reviews,i might get it and then play it all maxed out.How a game should be played.
Quake 4 recommendations or not, anyone?

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Quake 4 is much better than Doom 3, imo. Much less fussy. Kind of like a '50s Robert Heinlein novel in game form. Yes, I dislike Doom 3.

Ps. I Don't like Prey, either.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Are you psychic or what? You seem to have an eerie inside knowledge to the fact that I loved Prey. At least they tried to be a bit different,what with the room turning malarky.Made me a bit queezy at times,but gave you something different to think about.
Thanks for the Quake 4 info.
Now,lets turn off that webcam.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Just downloaded the Quake 4 demo and i love it.
It is very similar to Doom 3.No surprise since it's ID software.Made me jump a few times,and there's plenty of action which is good.
Just going to order it now.Can't be bad for about a tenner.(O:!
And who knows,if there are any online servers still running it,i may just make my first venture into online gaming, instead of just keep talking about it.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

mrwoowoo - you can get Quake 4 for £4.99 at GAME. I bought it a few weeks ago after losing my original. I think it's far superior to Doom 3. Not so dark, more action, less console reading and listening to messages.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

Ok,thanks for that,just in time.(O:!
Orf to have a look now.Do you play it online at all?

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

Quake 4 is my next port of call...If you like Doom, you will like Quake...Especially if you can get it for a fiver!

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

I've tried playing online but was pretty poor at it. If I lasted more than 5 seconds before getting obliterated, I thought I had done well!

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

A lot of people seem to say that they don't last long before being killed.That's the thing that puts me off giving it a go.I think i would get the right hump.)O:!

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

mrwoowoo. I bought Quake 4 for £2.49, from Toys r Us. That was ages ago, though.

Btw, if anyone's interested, the Doom 3 expansion pack, Resurrection of Evil, is currently £2 in HMV.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...