We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Games

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Game cd,s wearing out.

wolfie3000

Likes # 0

Why is it that you can install software like Windows XP or Vista and run the software fine with out the cd in the drive but when it comes to pc games you have to have the cd in the drive to play?

My Halo cd is looking worn out now and if it gets any worse i will have to purchase another disk.

I know why the game makers force people to have the cd to hand when playing the game, its so its harder to pirate the game,

But there must be alternatives to this so your precious disk doesn't wear out.

Like this post
Coltch

Likes # 0

It's a pain to keep having the disc to hand - my Crysis disc is not very responsive in the drive.

There are the ways round most of this, however, this starts going into a very grey area.

Also anything with starcr*p protection should be avoided!

Like this post
kalignorgna

Likes # 0

alcohol 120% or alcohol 152% at click here is a program that mimicks a drive and allows you to play a game wqithout the cd ;) if you download the trail verson it's not to hard to get a key to make it the "full version" not that I'm advertisin piracy or any thing of corse. after usin the trail program you will need the disk one more time to copy the files to alcohol after just select what game u whant to play as u need to change the mirror per game as apropiate.

Like this post
morgueman

Likes # 0

Call Of Duty 4 dosent require the CD to be in the pc but i agree, its a pain having to find the disc if you want to play most games, especially if you have several games and either the kids put them back in the wrong box or dont even bother, then you have to hunt high and low looking for the thing! Thats of course if the wife hasent already tidied up and put them somewhere safe!

Like this post
crosstrainer

Likes # 0

If you have a purchased copy of HALO, then it should be replaced free of charge. They will ask for the old one to be returned though.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

I use a no cd/dvd crack for convenience and also to save wear and tear to my discs.
Yes it's infringing copyright and as such is illegal,but they are my games and i payed for them so i don't really care.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September